Roman passion chant

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
DaveF
Site Admin

Roman passion chant

Post by DaveF »

All,

I've a strange feeling that I've asked this question before, but can't find the topic in the forums, so here goes: Does anyone know of an online source for a compilation of Roman passion chants called Cantus ecclesiasticus passionis, compiled by Giovanni Guidetti, and published in Rome in 1586? It's quite a long shot, I realise, and I can order printed facsimiles if I'm unsuccessful, but thought I would check the enormous resource which is the combined brains of the users of these forums first. I've searched every English-language source I can think of, but am not so good at looking in non-English places - perhaps some Italian library has a freely-available online copy? The excellent Church Music Society of America provides links to modern passion chant books, but these are not so interesting as the older and more florid versions, and not really what I'm looking for.

DF
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Roman passion chant

Post by choralia »

Hi Dave,

Please follow this link:

http://badigit.comune.bologna.it/cmbm/i ... /S267.html

Is this what you are looking for?

Max
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Max,

Thank you for that instant response! That is very nearly what I'm looking for; this one includes Christ's words ("Verba Christi" at the top of the title page), but I was looking for the whole of the Verba Evangelistae, which has an entry in the Gaspari catalogue, but doesn't have any riproduzioni digitali. Don't worry; I can get to work on Jesus's words and fill in the rest when I get the facsimiles. (This is to add one missing piece to my Byrd jigsaw, the Passio secundum Joannem, for which Byrd only provides the Voces turbarum).

Thanks again.

DF
samppa

Post by samppa »

Hi,

I have a gregorian chant group here in Finland. We have been performing Passio secundum Joannem by Giovanni Guidetti, published 1586 for few years now. It has been very popular, and now we would like to do same kind of project with Passio secundum Matthaeum. Problem is, I can't find the material. I have now the Verba Christi from the link above (thanks!), but I don't know where to get the rest.

So, does anyone know, where I could get or buy facsimiles or prints of them or something...?

Thanks!

-samppa
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

The Italian online library catalogue provides two results for "Guidetti" and "Passio": a manuscript of 58 pages containing all 4 Passio's, archived in Rome at the "Arciconfraternita di S. Giovanni dei Fiorentini"; and a printed music edition by Pustet (apparently some 60 pages but I'm not sure it is complete), published in Regensburg, Germany, 1877, and archived at the Vatican library. I have no idea whether it is possible to obtain copies from the above archives, anyway I live in Rome if this may help.

Max
pml
Site Admin

Post by pml »

At worst you could use the modern version of the chant in the Officium Majoris Hebdomadae (Ratisbonae, 1923), which might have some similarity to Guidetti's publication since fairly similar formulas for the recitation tones appear in other Renaissance passion settings, e.g. Lassus. The Officium is available in a rather large download from Sancta Missa, or in separate pieces at IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library.

(I once made an English language setting of Byrd’s Turbarum voces to the words of the RSV, and copped out by using the chant in a similar adaptation by a church music expert here. It might be fun to dig out if you want a laugh.)

Regards, Philip
samppa

Post by samppa »

Ok,

thanks for help. I try to check those.

BR

-samppa