Errors in the William Smith Responses

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
cdu

Errors in the William Smith Responses

Post by cdu »

I figure that you would like to know about errors in scores, but I don't know exactly where to send the list. So I decided to post it here, with the hope that one of the administrators will pass it on.

These are the errors I found in the edition by John Henry Fowler. I must say that I like this edition and that it is much easier to read than the two-stave version published by Oxford.

Bracketing: There should only be one bracket, connecting the two alto parts; there should be no bracket for tenor and bass.

Measure 6, bass: The notes for 'haste to help' should all be in measure 7 (measure 6, as it stands, has 5 beats).

Measure 18, tenor and bass: the syllable 'out' should be moved one note to the left, so that it is under the quarter note.

M20, S: There is a quarter note a-flat missing; it should follow the dotted half note, and the syllable 'the' should be under the a-flat.

M32, B: The first note of the Amen should be a D-flat, not an E-flat.

M48, all parts: the word 'thy' should be 'thine'.

M51, reciting note: should be an A-flat, not a B-flat.

M54, all parts: the word 'fightest' should be 'fighteth'.

M60, S: There is an extra note, the quarter-note B-flat should be omitted

M60, Alto I: the syllable 'ly' should be moved one note left so that it is under the B-flat.

M68, S: the syllables 'men' and 'A' should move one note to the right, so that 'men' is under the A-flat.

Many thanks for all you do here; this is a wonderful resource.

Christopher Uhl
July 28, 2009
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Errors in the William Smith Responses

Post by choralia »

Thank you very much for your remarks. The best way of reporting them is to "attach" the list to the work page at ChoralWiki, by using the "ScoreError" template, that then links to the associated discussion page. I've just done it for you. You may now refine your error report directly on the discussion page that I created.

Max