Best music scanning software for vocal music?

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
heinzr

Best music scanning software for vocal music?

Post by heinzr »

I still find entering scores into notation software way too tedious.
What experience have other made with music scanning software for vocal music? Is there a product that works really well?

Thanks in advance, Heinz
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Best music scanning software for vocal music?

Post by choralia »

I almost daily use SharpEye and/or Photoscore Ultimate. Their accuracy largely depends on the quality of the score and of the scan, and I think it's the same for any optical music recognition software.

Being obsessive for quality control, I use to compare the results of independent sources, as the probability that two independent sources make the same error is relatively small. This is the reason why I use both. I prefer SharpEye, however I may be biased by the fact that I use it since many years, and I know it much better.

Max
heinzr

Post by heinzr »

Max,

thanks for the information!

Your reasoning makes perfect sense, but I thought that Photoscore incorporated the SmartEye engine. Do you still see a difference between the two products?
Any experience with SmartScore? I use the version that came with Finale, and was not impressed.

Best wishes, Heinz

P.S. Sorry for reacting so late - I did not realize that one has to activate the option to be notified on replies.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

heinzr wrote:Do you still see a difference between the two products?
Yes, they behave quite differently. For example, Photoscore is more accurate on the detection of accidentals that SharpEye sometimes is unable to capture, while SharpEye better manages slurs (especially on staves with multiple voices, which are a little bit of a headache with PhotoScore). There are many other situations showing different behavio(u)r.
heinzr wrote:Any experience with SmartScore?
I tried a demo version, and I found it rather complicated to use. I was not impressed either, however I may have not been skilled enough with it. The learning curve with all these programs is quite long, you have to study the user manual first, then understand some specific principles, and eventually deal with weak points and tricks.

Max