Yet another newbie...

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
Beynt

Yet another newbie...

Post by Beynt »

Hi, I'm new at this so I'm not sure if I'm posting this request in the right place. I recently joined an all male a cappella choir, which sings mostly Evensong, early churs music composed in the 1500 and 1600's. I found this CPDL site and would like to listen to CPDL #8509: Icon_pdf.gif Icon_snd.gif Sibelius 4 , which is Momento Salutis Auctor by William Byrd. Although it states that it has a Midi and also that it is a cappella, I cannot listen to it. I tried Windows Media Player and several others but nothing works. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing to listen to the MIDI and also to hear it sung a cappella.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Beynt
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Yet another newbie...

Post by choralia »

Hi Beynt,

Let's first ensure that you get the desired files correctly. Please right-click the icon of the midi or of the Sibelius file and select "save object as..." or "save target as..." (the precise text depends on the internet browser that you use). Select your desktop or any folder on your computer as the destination folder of the file. This should place of copy of the MIDI or of the Sibelius file on your computer.

Then, you should check that you have an application associated to the file extensions .mid/.sib that is able to reproduce the file. Double-clicking the file name/icon should automatically invoke the application associated to the file extension. If nothing happens with double-clicking, right-click the file name/icon and select "open with..." (or something like that - this also depends on your computer). A list of candidate applications able to handle the file type (MIDI or Sibelius) should be presented to you. Try to select the proposed applications until you find a working one.

You should't have any problems to find an application that is able to reproduce MIDI files, as they are typically installed by default on any computer. For the Sibelius files you may need to download a specific application, such as Sibelius Scorch (http://www.sibelius.com/products/scorch/index.html).

Max