wrong voicing

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
JJvElburg

wrong voicing

Post by JJvElburg »

First of all let me say that I appreciate the enormous amount of work people put into making scores and putting them online.
But: When I use the Multi-Category Search form, and I choose a specific voicing i.e. SSSATB the result given contains a great amount of music with a different voicing (for instance SSATTB), or even wrong voicing (the ranges do not fit the criteria of the specific voice type used).
Is there some way to rectify this, or clear this up, so I don't need to wade through pages of music which do not fit the criteria?
BarryJ

Re: wrong voicing

Post by BarryJ »

I just ran Multi-Category Search, with only SSSATB and limit=1000 set – 21 results. Category:SSSATB has the same 21 works; every one of them has an SSSATB edition. Not sure why yours isn't working: Maybe you had another item checked, like 6-part choral music? (To expand the tree in MCS, one needs to click on the skinny arrow within the vertical dotted line.)
I then ran SSATTB and Limit=1000 set. I got 961 results. I also looked at the contents of Category:SSATTB, got almost the same (964), and all that I looked at (±20) have an SSATTB edition.
(Firefox 89.0.2 with Windows 10 Pro on a recent Dell Inspiron)
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I did the same thing as BarryJ, for SSSATB, and got the same 21 results. Then I added "Renaissance music" to the mix (along with SSSATB) and got over 1500 results!!! This rather flies in the face of MULTIcategory search.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

There is another forum topic about Multi-Category Search. Currently MCS doesn't work correctly for some uses, which is tied to recent revisions of MediaWiki. I will work on this when I get time.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

CHGiffen wrote: 06 Jul 2021 04:20 I did the same thing as BarryJ, for SSSATB, and got the same 21 results. Then I added "Renaissance music" to the mix (along with SSSATB) and got over 1500 results!!! This rather flies in the face of MULTIcategory search.
It looks like the tool is doing a logical OR instead of an AND operation, i.e., it brings all the items from every category selected, instead of bringing just the intersection of them all.