CPDL in Read Only mode during server migration

Primarily for posting announcements and important information for users, new and old
CHGiffen
Site Admin

CPDL in Read Only mode during server migration

Post by CHGiffen »

Last night, the ChoralWiki at cpdl.org was put in Read Only mode, for a migration from the server that has hosted cpdl.org to a different one. Unfortunately, the problems with the server are greatly slowing down the migration process. The IT Operations group is hard at work trying to get a synchronized copy of the cpdl.org wiki up and running on the different server, but it may still take some time. In the meantime, please bear with us through this period of difficulty.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Re: CPDL in Read Only mode during server migration

Post by choralia »

Last night a new migration to an alternative hosting provider was performed. Read-only mode was activated again yesterday, and it is now removed.

The reason is that the provider hosting choralwiki.org observed an excessive usage of resources on their server due to our wiki platform, so we had to migrate the CPDL wiki to the same provider who is hosting choralwiki.net. This new provider apparently adopts a resource sharing scheme that best fits with the type of CPU and memory workload produced by a wiki environment.

We apologize in advance for any "teething problem" that may occur while fine-tuning the operations on the new server.

Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I love the term "teething problem"!

Read-only mode still seems on, from what I can see. I'm getting the View Source option instead of the Edit option on a score page and a user's talk page.

Thanks for all the efforts on the migration.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I've just up-graded the MediaWiki SW to version 1.13.2, but read-only mode seems off, I can edit pages. Could you please try again?

Few minutes ago somebody was connected, perhaps it was Carlos while fine-tuning something. He may have set read-only mode again for a while.

Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Pilot error: I had gotten logged out and didn't realize it. Sorry for the false alarm.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

No Max, I am just uploading a new version of LilyPond at the moment.

By the way, I forgot to warn you there were other files besides LocalSettings.php that couldn't be overwritten: there are around 5-6 css files inside /wiki/skins/monobook that had been changed in order to avoid blue icons to be shown at the side of external links. I'll copy these from the backup you did.