CPDL post-crash update

Primarily for posting announcements and important information for users, new and old
bobnotts
Site Admin

CPDL post-crash update

Post by bobnotts »

To all contributors:

Rafael Ornes, manager of CPDL, has confirmed that he will not be able to restore the lost data except possibly a few Google caches that were made immediately before the server went down. As such, this is my advice to contributors whose scores have been lost and are in a position to re-upload and re-post them:

-If you have a personal backup of the page code, that's great - create a new page as normal and paste the code in. It may be necessary to re-upload the files (PDF, MIDI etc) to the CPDL server if they were previously stored there and have been lost.

-If you just have the files and know the CPDL number, please try to create the page from scratch without running the "add scores to CPDL" wizard so that the same edition does not end up with 2 CPDL numbers. You can copy the wiki code from a similar score page and paste it in a new window, using it as a template for your new score page.

-If you just have the files and you don't know the CPDL number, please re-submit your edition via the "add scores to CPDL" wizard and a new CPDL number will be generated.

If you encounter any difficulties, please post a message in a new thread on the "CPDL Support, Questions, and Feedback" section or leave a message on my talk page.

Robert Nottingham
reinhold

Re: CPDL post-crash update

Post by reinhold »

Are you implementing a better backup solution now that you have bitten so badly? I suppose it should not be too hard to do a dump of the database and transfer it to a different machine every night...

Cheers,
Reinhold
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi Reinhold

As I live in England and the server is in the States, I have made this request to Rafael Ornes, the manager of CPDL. The server is actually a university one so the backups may be controlled by a third party (I really don't know the details).

I shall post a request for a more frequent backup on the Admin section of this bulletin board as I, too, think that more frequent backups are essential.

If you wish, you can try to contact Raf yourself. His email address is ornes [AT] CPDL [DOT] org

Best wishes

Rob
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Please refer to the latest CPDL news page which gives a post-crash update. It is here.