A forum for members' research?

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
D-fished

A forum for members' research?

Post by D-fished »

Hello all CPDL-ers.

Is there any interest in a forum where members submit small research papers for peer review and critique? I'm thinking about essays longer than are feasible to post in a forum entry. I have a number of topics I've been working on that I know would never make it into an official musicological journal (I don't have the academic credentials), but which I think might be of interest to others in this forum. I wouldn't mind having feedback to help me refine my ideas (and perhaps it would save me from writing such long editorial notes in my editions).

Are there any others interested in this idea? Is it workable? Is there a way we could post PDFs of our work in progress for others to view (i.e. as attachments)?

Your thoughts, please.

D-fished
carlos
Site Admin

Re: A forum for members' research?

Post by carlos »

I like the idea! I wouldn't be able to contribute as a "peer-reviewer", but would love to follow such topics.
D-fished wrote: Is there a way we could post PDFs of our work in progress for others to view (i.e. as attachments)?
Yes, technically it's possible, and I believe it's already available to all users. Check for the "Upload attachment" tab right below the Save/Preview/Submit buttons.
But, if you're just concerned about text size, I guess these forums accept rather large texts without having to cut them into smaller parts.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: A forum for members' research?

Post by choralia »

I think that uploading attachments up to some 5 MB should work without problems, unless you have a relatively slow internet connection in uplink, which may hit some browser's timeout. I've just uploaded a 4.3 MB file without problems through my very normal ADSL connection at home.

Max