CPDL in the news

CPDL topics that don't fit in the other categories
carlos
Site Admin

CPDL in the news

Post by carlos »

This new topic is open for everyone to post links to articles about CPDL in the news. Let's find out what people are talking about CPDL!
carlos
Site Admin

10,000 Scores at CPDL

Post by carlos »

This is my first contribution, an article by Jeffrey Tucker dated March 17, 2009:

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/20 ... -cpdl.html
vaarky

Re: CPDL in the news

Post by vaarky »

Nifty! I thought there was a document for this on CPDL, though I might be misremembering. I'm thinking CPDL itself rather than the forums would be a better place to collaboratively maintain this information and have it available as reference. Perhaps a table with date of publication, URL, one-sentence summary, and contributor's name?
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Nice idea, Vaarky, I agree that it would be great if we had such a place for CPDL-related news on the site itself. The ideal would be if we could "print" the content of these news to pdf files and store them at CPDL, because these sites change quite often and many don't keep the news for a long time.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I am concerned about copyright implications if we make a screen capture of news elsewhere about CPDL to host here.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Here is another reference from the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA):

https://acda.org/files/ChorTeach-Vol1Iss2.pdf

The article about CPDL is "The Best Things in Life are Free - Especially Choral Music" by James A. John (page 5).

Max
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Not "the news" as such, but it's good to see CPDL getting a credit as a source of "good-quality free downloadable PDF scores" in Kerry McCarthy's forthcoming volume on Byrd (buy, buy, when it appears!) in the Master Musicians series.

DF
cjshawcj

Post by cjshawcj »

If your ears are burning, keep them well away from that feather in your cap.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

That last comment had me laughing out loud.

Thanks for your great work, Dave...
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Yes, it was good, wasn't it, but the recommendation of CPDL made no mention of Byrd in particular, certainly not of me. So feathers in caps all round.

DF
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

I came across this by chance, today: CPDL was the main topic of a 2012 dissertation.
A Church Musician’s Resource Guide to the Available Resources from the Choral Public Domain Library for the Liturgical Year A
by Michael John Trotta

Abstract
The Choral Public Domain Library (CPDL) represents a free resource to the church musician, and yet, as a user-edited database, has its limitations. This monograph provides a measure of quality control of the broad database presenting a usable resource guide for the church musician faced with the selection and presentation of liturgically suitable choral works every Sunday. Previous guides have been either so general that they make it difficult to locate music or so specific that they highlight individual publishers or composers. This document provides a methodology for selection and classification of freely reproducible choral literature appropriate for the various requirements of the liturgical year.

In 1998, Rafel Ornes created the CPDL an Internet-based, free sheet music website specializing in choral music. Currently, it boasts over 13,000 scores contributed by individual users. This collection of music provides conductors with an opportunity for efficient examination of scores on their computer, eliminating the need for on-site examination at various libraries. Consequently, this guide assists the church musician in the selection of freely available, quality literature for the Liturgical Year.

The works included in the resource guide were selected to represent thematically appropriate music for a given Sunday in the Liturgical Year. The works were further delimited, by selecting editions that were quality editions accessible for rehearsal and performance. When determining the level of difficultly, a new classification system was developed that has the potential for broader applications in the world of choral music.
The full text of the dissertation is available for download, for those interested:
http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-03152012-105649/
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Thanks, Carlos. I recall seeing that dissertation when it came out.

There is an even newer dissertation by Cindy Bauchspies, D.M.A. from the University of Maryland:
ABSTRACT

Title of Dissertation: TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS THE BEST CHORAL REPERTOIRE FROM THE GREAT COMPOSERS: MASTERWORKS AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE, FREE ACCESS FROM THE CHORAL PUBLIC DOMAIN LIBRARY

Cynthia Bauchspies, Doctor of Musical Arts, 2015
Dissertation directed by: Professor Edward Maclary School of Music

Studying the choral works of the great composers of the past is always a worthy endeavor. For those aspiring to create an excellent high school choral program, it is critical to a student's musical foundation and heritage. Choral educators who teach high school are often bombarded with the most recently published new choral works, when they have a trove of excellent pieces right at their fingertips through websites like the Choral Public Domain Library (CPDL), all available at no cost. This project will explore the pedagogical reasons why this canon of public domain choral music should be taught at the high school level. A thorough guide to CPDL and an anthology of 200 works available on CPDL will provide the conductor with resources for programming this music. Though choral music in the public domain is free to all, publishers still publish this music and adhere copyright claims. This can create mistrust of legitimate editions on CPDL; why are they available at no cost when publishers are claiming copyright on similar editions? These issues will be thoroughly discussed in this project. For any given work on CPDL, there may be multiple editions available on the site. Choosing the right edition requires knowledge about basic editorial principles, especially for works written during the Renaissance period. A detailed discussion of these principles will provide the conductor with the tools needed to choose the best edition for his or her ensemble.
I was privileged to follow its development and read it when it was finished. It is available for download here.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Composer and CPDL contributor Mariano Garau provided to me this link:
In his career he [Mariano Garau] has never had specific assignments as a composer; he owes his fame above all to the Internet site http://www.cpdl.org, where scores from all over the world can be downloaded, and that made very popular and well performed his compositions, including “Ave Verum Corpus”, “O Magnum Mysterium”, “O Jesu dulcissime me“, ”I love Te Devote“, ”Christmas Eve“, ”Stabat Mater“, ”Agnus Dei“ and many others. Several Italian and foreign choirs have in their repertoires such compositions.
Max
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

How lovely that CPDL was able to help him get better known, and nice that he mentioned CPDL!
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

What an adorable typo that made “Adoro te devote” become “I love te devote” in the article about Mariano Garau. :wink: