Latin help

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
D-fished

Latin help

Post by D-fished »

I am currently working on an edition of a piece from Zielenski's Communiones and wish to include a full translation of the title page. The text reads:

Communiones Totius Anni Quibus in solennioribus Festis Sancta Roman Ecclesia vti consueuit ad cantum Organi, per Vnam, Duas, Tres, Quatuor, Quinque, & Sex voces, cum Instrumentis Musicalibus, & vocis resolutione, quam Italigorgia vocant decantandæ. His accesserunt aliquot Sacræ Symphoniæ, Quatuor, Quinque, & sex vocum; & Tres Fantasiæ Instrumentis Musicalibus accommodatæ.

which, with one year of university Latin and a good dictionary I make to be:

Communions for the whole year, which in the more solemn feasts of the Holy Roman Church are customarily sung to the organ by one, two, three, four, five, or six voices; to be performed by voices and musical instruments with Italian gorgie sung throughout. To which are added several Sacræ Symphoniæ for four, five, and six voices, and three fantasias suitable for musical instruments.

If any Latinists can help me improve on this, I'd be grateful. (Gorgie for those not familiar with the term are passaggi, or rapid ornaments.)

Suggestions need not be in English. Responses in French, German, Dutch, Spanish or Italian are welcome.

Cheers,
D-fished
D-fished

Re: Latin help

Post by D-fished »

I had the bright idea of submitting the question to a Latin forum and got this correction to the first sentence:

Communions for the whole year which the Holy Roman Church customarily uses on its more solemn feasts, to be sung to the accompaniment of Organ music by one, two, three, four, five and six voices, along with musical instruments, and performed with that free manner of singing which the Italians call gorgia.

Look for Zielenski's Introibo ad Altare Dei sometime soon at CPDL.

D-fished
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hello David,

Thanks for posting the corrected text. My knowledge of Latin grammar is too basic for me to be of any help here, but I was curious to see the suggestions you'd receive.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Glad you were able to find help. To what Latin forum did you submit? It may be useful for people to know for future reference.
D-fished

Post by D-fished »

Hello vaarky,

The forum is at latindiscussion.com

My particular conversation may be viewed at:

http://latindiscussion.com/forum/latin/ ... age.24948/

Cheers,
D-fished
vaarky

Post by vaarky »