Recordings of Epiphany Renaissance music

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
bobnotts
Site Admin

Recordings of Epiphany Renaissance music

Post by bobnotts »

Afternoon all

Hope you've had a cracking Christmas Day and you're perhaps enjoying more festivities today.

In a spare hour or so today I've been trying to find a recording of two pieces of music I will sing at my church on the first Sunday of the Epiphany -

Missa in Nativitate Domini nostri Jesu Christi - Pitoni (Sanctus and Agnus only)
Magi videntes stellam - Clemens non Papa

I expect both are relatively easy but I'd like to swot up a little, especially as we will provide the music for this service as a quartet only. However, I can't seem to find a recording of either for love nor money! The mass is on CPDL so I can get hold of the MIDI when I'm not on my iPhone (though I'd prefer a recording) but I can't find the motet anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Recordings of Epiphany Renaissance music

Post by choralia »

Hi Rob, can a "virtual rendering" be of help if you cannot find pieces sung by humans? Test mp3 file attached.

Max
Attachments
pitoni - sanctus (test).mp3
(353.67 KiB) Downloaded 962 times
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Brilliant, thanks Max! I've just had a sing through. I wonder if you might check one slightly suspect note for me? Bar 7, beat 3, bass, in my copy I have a G below middle C but your synthesised recording doesn't sound like that. Is it a mistake or perhaps a mistake in my edition?

If anyone knows of a recording anywhere, I'd be very grateful of the details, though your virtual recording is still very useful, Max, so thank you.
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

bobnotts wrote:Is it a mistake or perhaps a mistake in my edition?
I used the MIDI files from James Gibb's edition on CPDL. It seems that a G is present at the point you indicated, however it might not be very evident due to the other voices present. I've made the usual Choralia-style files with the individual and the emphasised voices, this is the URL:

http://www.choralia.net/po01mp3

Please let me know if it sounds OK this way.

Shall I prepare the Agnus Dei, too, in the case nobody finds a human recording?

Max
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Thanks Max! If you have a few minutes to do the Agnus as well, that would be great.
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

bobnotts wrote:If you have a few minutes to do the Agnus as well, that would be great.
Done, and added to the same page on the Choralia website. I usually digitise everything from the pdf files in order to ensure consistency with the scores, however, to do something immediately available, I directly imported the MIDI files from the ChoralWiki page. I didn't notice any mismatches with respect to the scores, though.

What about the work by Jacobus Clemens non Papa? It is also available on CPDL, however the MIDI file does not include lyrics, so preparing it would take longer as I should entirely digitise it from the pdf file.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Here are rehearsal files for the Clemens non Papa: http://johnfletchermusic.me.uk/index.ph ... es_stellam.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

That's great, thank you very much indeed! Really need to get myself a little keyboard for these kinds of jobs...
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Some singers in our chorus use a keyboard app on their phone for quick portable note-checking; it can be very helpful in a clinch.

Happy new year!