What is the function of a choral anthem in worship services?

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
LadyIslay

What is the function of a choral anthem in worship services?

Post by LadyIslay »

Full Question: What is the function/intent/purpose of a choral anthem in today's mainstream Protestant worship service? Why do we do it?

By "anthem", I mean a short composition (<10 minutes) sung by the choir rather than the entire congregation. In the tradition I come from, this is usually sung during the Liturgy of the Word. The congregation I work for is about to do a review of everything we do in our worship services. We're going to be asking, "why do we do this?", and the answer "because we've always done it that way" is simply not going to cut it. While I fully support this process, I don't want to talk myself out of a job as choir director, so help me out... why do we sing 'anthems'? (And I know full well that not everyone does.)

My best guess so far is that that it is a time during worship in which the Word is shared through music. The congregation hears a message from the choir, kind of like they do when they listen to the minister give a homily from the pulpit. The message can be used to teach, offer praise, set a mood for more teaching, and/or offer a link to the whole Body of Christ through the ages and around the world by using traditional songs & texts or songs from another place. Being sung by the choir alone rather than the entire congregation allows for more complex music to be presented, which may (or may not) speak to people in a different way than a simple song would. The choir itself functions as a small group ministry, so the preparation of the anthem has a role in the group ministry. It could also be said that the church has a long tradition as a patron of the arts, and that by singing choral anthems, we continue this patronage by purchasing music to support composers, paying choir directors and section leaders, and teaching music technique in the choir.

What say ye all?
Cdalitz

Re: What is the function of a choral anthem in worship servi

Post by Cdalitz »

The congregation I work for is about to do a review of everything we do in our worship services.
This is strange. Is your congregation not part of a larger church which has experts in liturgy?
the answer "because we've always done it that way" is simply not going to cut it.
Actually, a centuries old tradition is a strong argument. I would put it the opposite way: if you do not know the exact reason, this is an argument to keep it. Do you rule out every sentence from the bible that you do not completely understand?

If i understand your description of "anthem" right, this goes back to the "Graduale" from the catholic mass (the liturgy of the lutheran service is based on and still very close to the catholic mass). Googling for "Graduale" will presumably give some explanations.

Concerning your arguments, the utilitarian argument of "promoting the arts" seems weak to me. Moreover, you seem to imply that the worship is some sort of religous lesson rather than a divine service and that the choir is "performing" for the congregation rather than singing to the Lord and being part of the liturgy. I am aware that "preaching" is the predominant task of the music in the protestant tradition of the "musica poetica" by Schütz and Bach, but I fear that your position is weak if you try to reduce the music to an illustration of the text.
LadyIslay

Re: What is the function of a choral anthem in worship servi

Post by LadyIslay »

Cdalitz wrote:This is strange. Is your congregation not part of a larger church which has experts in liturgy?
Hah! No, this particular congregation is part of the United Church of Canada, which has very diverse worship across the country... and very diverse theology, too. I'm thankful to work with a congregation that is very conservative in their theology and that has a very effective congregation-led leadership. While the national church provides liturgical suggestions (usually through their magazine "Gather"), each congregation sets up their own worship. This particular congregation has multiple worship services, all with very different formats.
Cdalitz wrote:Moreover, you seem to imply that the worship is some sort of religous lesson rather than a divine service
Being a Catholic working in a Protestant church, I could say that it is more of a religious lesson rather than a divine service, since it is missing the Blessed Sacrament, but that would be tongue in cheek.
Cdalitz wrote: and that the choir is "performing" for the congregation rather than singing to the Lord and being part of the liturgy.
I work at trying to make sure that it is not viewed as a performance. I do my best to use alternative language like "present" or "offer" ("I have a quartet that would like to offer a piece of music next Sunday morning" or "When we present this piece during worship, make sure you..."). I also explain to a member of my choir that thinks it would be nice if the pastor 'thanked' special guests from the pulpit after they participate in worship by offering music that it is awkward to do so, and makes me feel like I'm performing rather than offering a gift.

Your comments are great. I'll keep at my list. To be clear, the 'anthem' isn't being singled out or picked on, but if asked "why do you do this?", I'd like to have an answer in my back pocket. For some people at the table, they have no concept of what an anthem is because they don't have one in their worship and come from a tradition that never has.