Where to listen music of Josquin des Prés?

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
danielapc

Where to listen music of Josquin des Prés?

Post by danielapc »

Hi, I sing in an amateur choir and we are starting a piece of this composer. I always look for the themes in the internet, to have an idea of how they should be. But I didn´t find this one, and I would like to know where to listen to it, and if there are any records that I can buy. The sheet says Ave Christe and the editor is John Henry Fowler. I don´t know if it is from a mass, or what. I will sincerely appreciate anyone´s help with this. Daniela.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Where to listen music of Josquin des Prés?

Post by carlos »

Hi, are you talking about MP3-quality recordings? Because if you click on the icon Image (on the score page) you'll be able to listen to a MIDI file, which will give you an idea of how it sounds. If you have Encore in you computer, click also on the "Encore" link to open it inside the program, where you'll have the option to play it too, and also to change its sonority by picking different instruments for each line.
Regards,
Carlos
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

A mp3 recording is available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Josquin-Desprez-A ... B00173C372

Daniela, based on your IP address I guess that you are from Mexico. I'm not sure Amazon allows delivery of mp3 files to Mexico, as they have rather tricky policies concerning copyright.

Max
luis henriques
Location: Fajãzinha, Flores Island, Azores, (now at Évora) Portugal

Post by luis henriques »

Have you tried YouTube?
Luís C. F. Henriques (University of Évora)
“Ipse vero magister Perotinus fecit quadrupla óptima […] cum habundantia colorum armonicae artis…”
Anonymous 4 in [Musica] (fol. 70v)
Atrium Musicologicum
LadyIslay

Post by LadyIslay »

emusic.com has a huge catologue of classical music, and the subscriptions are quite affordable. They are a pain in the butt for some things, though (can't download tracks over 10 minutes unless you download the entire album, horrible search functions), but I manage to find a lot of hard-to-find music on their site.

Also, you can hear des Prez "Ave Maria... Virgo Serena" in Qualicum Beach, BC this Saturday, April 16th. :)