Pieces I'm entranced by at the moment...

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
vaarky

Pieces I'm entranced by at the moment...

Post by vaarky »

I thought it might be nice to have a topic for fabulous choral pieces we are currently entranced by. At the moment, mine are:
William Mundy's Vox Patris, and Hugh Kellyk's Gaude Flore Virginali, both Renaissance sacred pieces. Do other people similarly have pieces they want to gush about?
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Pieces I'm entranced by at the moment...

Post by DaveF »

Well, I could quite easily gush about those two myself - perhaps I should put the Kellyk on my "to do" list, since I have a copy of its unique source somewhere. And not so much currently entranced, but having reached the realisation that if the trance lasts long enough the object has become immovably part of one's life: Byrd's Plorans plorabit: the old boy supremely at the top of his game in every note, and coolly picking the most blameless Biblical texts to point out to James VI and Anne that they were merely mortal.

DF
DrewE

Post by DrewE »

On a seasonal note, Gustav Holst's fantasy Christmas Day is a nifty piece, and includes among some others two fine old carols that are not sung quite so much anymore, presumably because they are deemed sexist and hence politically incorrect (Good Christian Men, Rejoice and God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen).

On a non-seasonal note, I've lately acquired a, well, unique CD, "Odi Et Amo," a piece (song cycle? rock operette? modern oratorio?) by Uģis Prauliņš (a Lithuanian, I believe). It defies categorization, between the liturgical and classical Latin libretto, the choral singing, and the rock (taken broadly) accompaniment. Maybe if Queen and Bach collaborated they would come up with something sort of similar, or perhaps if Jesus Christ Superstar took a different turn and ended up a few counties away. I'm not really convinced it's great music, nor yet a great recording (there are a few distinct lapses in the audio engineering, with nasty clipping on a few of the vocal takes). It is at least quite interesting and, at least for me, a wee bit addictive.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I'm happy to hear about favorite pieces in general (esp. a cappella), even if they've moved beyond current entrancement to being a favorite for the long term. Thanks for posting!

I haven't sung that particular piece by Byrd and will bump it to the top of the stack.

Thanks for suggesting the Holst--I think I've sight-sung the Holst (with piano only, though) and it was a nice piece. Haven't met a piece by Holst I haven't liked.

The Lithuanian work sounds intriguing. I am curious if a collector I know has the recording...

Another piece I'm liking these days--Whitacre's Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPxAGFp_IE
(esp. 5:40 et seq)
luis henriques
Location: Fajãzinha, Flores Island, Azores, (now at Évora) Portugal

Post by luis henriques »

At the moment I'm [singing & studying] particular interested in Commissa Mea Pavesco by Filipe de Magalhães.

You can find it here:
http://www.ensino.uevora.pt/jpa/PAMMsco ... ssaMea.pdf (score)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipe_de_Magalh%C3%A3es (general info on the composer)

Give some opinions on the score. (I'll open a new topic on the subject).

Greetings,
Luís Henriques
Luís C. F. Henriques (University of Évora)
“Ipse vero magister Perotinus fecit quadrupla óptima […] cum habundantia colorum armonicae artis…”
Anonymous 4 in [Musica] (fol. 70v)
Atrium Musicologicum
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

A nice score! I just realized there are no Magalhaes scores on CPDL:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Fili ... lh%C3%A3es

Would it be possible to get the Commissa Mea or other works contributed it to CPDL? I've sung Commissa Mea, and also Asperges Me and Vidi Aquam (both SATB, and would love to sing new pieces by Magalhaes.
luis henriques

Post by luis henriques »

I'm planning to transcribe some portuguese polyphony works. I'm having some trouble with finale and with some theoretical issues on the transcription. Next Summer I'll probably have some works finished that can be added to CPDL.
“Ipse vero magister Perotinus fecit quadrupla óptima […] cum habundantia colorum armonicae artis…”
Atrium Musicologicum
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

That would be much appreciated!
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

The fab pieces we sight-sang tonight included:
Davy: In Honore Summae Mater (Eton Choirbook) -- I wanna sing it again, like, now!
Javier Busto: Pater Noster
Tchaikovsky: Pater Noster
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Stolzer, O Admirable Commercium, SAATB. You can hear the opening at http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue ... pid=627858 (I have no affiliation whatsoever with the people on the recording).
luis henriques

Post by luis henriques »

These last two months I have been entranced by these ones:

The Lent at Évora Cathedral
Atrium Musicologicum
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I'm familiar with the Ecce and a couple of the others but will check the rest out--thanks for the suggestions.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

vaarky

Post by vaarky »

We have 8 professional-level sight-singers (SSAATTBB) meeting 6 times this summer to sight-sing non-Renaissance music for fun. Can people suggest pieces that are available on CPDL? As examples, last year we sang movements from the Martin double-chorus mass, Elgar, Stanford, and a bunch of other nifty music. I'm trying to order the afore-mentioned Tides of Ocean and possibly Mantyjarvi's shipwreck piece if it can be condensed for 8v. Would love to hear suggestions people may have for CPDL gems.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

William Hawley: O Magnum Mysterium:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =classical