A question about Byrd's Lullaby

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
anaigeon

A question about Byrd's Lullaby

Post by anaigeon »

Hi,

I have a problem with the very beginning of the bass line, when it goes down like that: C Bb A G I realize I've always sung Ab, which, according to the scores edited here at cpdl, seems wrong.
However, I'm now feeling strange when singing the A natural! :-( Perhaps because I've got used to the first version?

I've been unable to find a free facsimile of this piece on the net, and thus would be interested by any comment by one of the editors, or anyone feeling reliable on the subject :-)
Thanks

edited : I perhaps should have posted in "Musical questions", sorry :oops:
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Alain,

The published version (in Psalmes, Sonets, and Songs... [1588, with at least 3 more editions thereafter]) is a tone higher, in A with no key-signature, and the passage in question is clearly D C B A - I have facsimiles of both the 3rd (1588) and 5th (c.1607) editions in front of me as I write. I don't have access to a facsimile of the manuscript version in G, but the version in the Oxford Book of English Madrigals (sic!) is based on it and again, it's C Bb A G. It feels odd because of the A flats in the melody (in the Medius part) - but Byrd enjoyed a bit of "bimodality".

DF

PS - I'll move this to Musical Questions - and I hope the above is a "Musical Answer".
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

Dave, thank you so much, we're working this piece tomorrow evening :P
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I've always seen it and performed it with descending whole, half, whole step (in both keys), never whole, whole, half. And I've probably performed it at least a dozen times.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

Thanks Chuck, it seems that it's quite clear now; sometimes you make an instinctive mistake at first reading, and for some reason you like it and never get open minded and attentive enough to realize you were faulty !