Curious

A place for contemporary composers and others to discuss their works and issues of composing choral music in our time
Antonyx

Curious

Post by Antonyx »

It seems curious that such a page as this is not being used. However, in truth, I am not really clear on the exact purpose of the page. I was hoping to pick up from other posts what it was really about, only to find that I am the first one here since it was set up last July.

Perhaps some guidelines might encourage. Since the demise of the Sibelius Music Chart Forum, might it be suitable to replace that lost rescource?

In the meanwhile, to see if it will get the ball rolling, here is a link to my choir singing my setting of a poem by Nicholas Vachel Lindsay Ob 1931) at an early Christmas concert in Castelnaudary in the Languedoc, France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIuAO8mBrbk
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Curious

Post by CHGiffen »

Wow! What a lovely setting, David. I'm going to send the score and the link to the performance of Star of My Heart to the director of the group I sing with, recommending it for performance next December.

In truth, I wasn't sure how this forum would evolve, but (as a composer myself) I felt that it would be good to have a place here at CPDL for composers to exchange information, ideas, works, questions, etc. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your kind remarks on 'Star of my Heart'. It was a little difficult for French speakers to get perfect diction, but we didn't do so badly, I trust.

I am delighted that you have mentioned the carol setting in choral circles. Thank you for that kindness.

If you wish to publish it on CPDL I would be quite happy. Just let me know. The intricacies of uploading just defeat me, so I would have to leave it to you or one of the other 'Guardian Angels' who look after us here. It's available on Score Exchange for free printdown. If you have any problems with that, please let me know and we can work around them. BTW, there is also a version for choir + descant + handbells.

Finally, apologies for not getting in touch sooner. I had visitors staying over Christmas, concerts to direct, and then caught the severe cold that currently seems to be ravaging its way through France. Much better now! :)

I take the opportunity to wish you and the Mods a Happy New Year! (It's valid to do so up to 31 January in these parts!)

Antonyx
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Thanks for the kind wishes, and a happy new year to you too.

CPDL is delighted to host choral works as long as they are clear in terms of copyright. This applies to the musical aspect as well as the lyrics (for example, if the lyrics are not in the public domain yet but you have obtained adequate permission to use them, that would work). We welcome contributions that meet these criteria. You can upload the score to CPDL or use a pointer to its existing location offsite (the former provides for improved continuity).

You can fill out the form here if you wish to have it listed on CPDL:

http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Cho ... :Add_Music

Thanks again!
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

The perennial question of copyright doesn't raise it head insofar as the music setting of 'Star of my Heart' is concerned. It is my work, so any rights pertaining to it would be mine.

However, the text is a poem by Nicholas Vachel Lindsay. He died in 1931. In Europe that means his work is in the public domain. But does this hold good for CPDL seeing it is hosted in the US? On the basis of what I have been reading here, I make the assumption that it may be possible to publish on CPDL site, but that downloading in the US would be illegal, whereas in the European Union it would be quite OK. Is this a reasonable interpretation? I hope so.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

There shouldn't be any copyright problem in the U.S. with this text, as apparently it was published before 1923. See:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Star_of_my_Heart

Max
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Sorry to be a bother.

I thought I had uploaded some pieces - about 4 days ago. I got an indication that they were somewhere in the CPDL system, but so far nothing has shown up.

Are they being vetted for copyright, or have I made a mess up? :oops:
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi

You can view the progress of the score-adding on the following page: http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Hel ... ded_yet%3F

Thanks for your contribution! It will be added ASAP.
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Thanks, Robert. I had no idea there was such a workload to get through. In fact, with my capacity for messing up the simplest action on a computer, I was thinking along the lines that I had got me into another fine mess.

I'll keep an odd eye on that page. to see how things are progressing.
spartlan

Post by spartlan »

I listened to Star of My Heart -- very beautiful! -Susan
Antonyx

Post by Antonyx »

Many thanks, Susan.

David