New place for modern composers and their works

A place for contemporary composers and others to discuss their works and issues of composing choral music in our time
CHGiffen
Site Admin

New place for modern composers and their works

Post by CHGiffen »

I've just created this forum as a place for discussion of and amongst modern composers and their choral music.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
imessehmoll

Re: New place for modern composers and their works

Post by imessehmoll »

I'm new to this forum having found it while doing an online search for 'modern composers'. If this forum is meant to be for composers to introduce themselves and their works and my post is not appropriate for this forum, please feel free to omit it. I think it's exciting to see a choral website forum dedicated to modern composers. I must first disclose that I'm an interested party although not a member of a choral ensemble, Antioch Chamber Ensemble from NJ/NY area that released a CD (2003?), "Winter Songs", which included Morten Lauridsen's "Mid-Winter Songs" (and his praise, as well!). Antioch Chamber Ensemble will be releasing their third CD this fall dedicated wholly to American composer Matthew Brown's choral works < mattbrowncomposer.com >. Matthew Brown first caught my ear with an arrangement he did of "True Colors" performed by Antioch, which I just can't get enough of, quite frankly. I love this composer's original choral work and I just wanted to share this information with you because I think this release of Brown's work is going to cause a stir in the choral music world. Here are several links to Matthew Brown's works as performed by Antioch Chamber Ensemble:

(though love be a day) by Matthew Brown: http://youtu.be/b_B_KmYAKJ8
'True Colors', arrangement by Matthew Brown: http://youtu.be/tnb2sNZtpUQ

If you're familiar with this young composer, it would please me no end to hear your thoughts on his choral works. Thank you so much for starting this forum for modern composers.
vaarky

Re: New place for modern composers and their works

Post by vaarky »

It's always good to hear about new composers, and congrats to Antioch Chamber Ensemble for the nice performances.

The conservatory near me has a choral music composer competition and I've really enjoyed hearing new works there. I also sing with a small informal group that sight-sings music of all eras, so have gotten to discover a lot of nifty living composers that way (including some on CPDL). It's such a thrill discovering new music.