PDF documents EDIT PROGRAM

ONLY forum where announcements promoting COMMERCIAL choral music related websites and services are permitted
ARoyalChoir

PDF documents EDIT PROGRAM

Post by ARoyalChoir »

Our community based not-for-profit choir uses Choral Wiki for much of its repertoire. Our biggest frustration was that we had to use the documents 'as is' since we could not afford the high-priced PDF editing programs. But then I found Infix! This user-very-friendly, intuitive, accessible program has removed the last barrier to our ability to produce professional looking, easily read, relevant music to distribute to our choristers and musicians. Researching, downloading and printing all this music has been the job of my position in the choir. Infix has saved me hours of inputting into music writing programs, word programs, and other editing functions. Now I just choose a score, 'open with' Infix, delete unnecessary pages, change text, fonts, page sizes, save and Voila! I'm off to the printers to get my chorister's folders filled! Thank you Infix. I have tried other PDF editors but this served the needs of a musician much the best of any others. Here's their website. www.iceni.com
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: PDF documents EDIT PROGRAM

Post by CHGiffen »

Thanks for the information on Infix. I do have a question, though: Do you use the Standard version or the Pro version for your editing of PDF scores?

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
ARoyalChoir

Post by ARoyalChoir »

CHGiffen wrote:Thanks for the information on Infix. I do have a question, though: Do you use the Standard version or the Pro version for your editing of PDF scores?

Chuck
I've been 'test driving' both versions but am leaning toward Standard version, which seems to cover all the actions I need to make. I use Notation Composer for original works so do not need to edit the actual music in the PDF documents, just add text, expand the page, delete pages...just trim the fat before printing. -ARC
Marghek

Post by Marghek »

Now I just choose a score, 'open with' Infix, delete unnecessary pages, change text, fonts, page sizes, save and Voila! I'm off to the printers to get my chorister's folders filled! Thank you Infix. I have tried other PDF editors but this served the needs of a musician much the best of any others. Here's their website. http://www.iceni.com
I downloaded the trial version and 'played' with it a little. It seems to do edit basic text reasonably well (I didn't try spell checking - I doubt it understands Latin!) nor changing font. But forget correcting notes - it's haphazard because a pdf symbol can include more than one note or might not include the stem of a note or leger line. Copying and inserting notes is even more of lottery. It's a shame because often it is necessary to correct just one or two notes in CPDL contributions and if you don't have the particular notation prog that the contributor used, or if he/she doesn't contribute it, your stymied until he/she can be persuaded to correct it. I didn't try deleting pages etc because you can always not print-to-pdf (using Cute, for example) pages you don't want.

It gets further than Sage's Page Plus 4, though, which says it can edit pdfs. PP4 can't usually import pdf music in any readable form - lack of embedded fonts, I'm told.

Back to Infix: there's no unistaller and Windows uninstall warns you that there are some bits left behind which you can delete manually - but doesn't tell where they are! The lack of an effective uninstall facility is frankly terrible for a commercial product, especially one at this price.
Alan Knight
ARoyalChoir

Post by ARoyalChoir »

I've had great success with Notation Composer for editing musical elements. What Infix does, though, is provide a means of 'unlocking' a PDF document for manipulation of non-musical elements. We have to provide a ready-to-go copy for a professional printer so the option of 'not print' is not an option. Infix solved that part of our dilemma.
Marghek

Post by Marghek »

Whatever you find convenient! :)

I have Sibelius (v5) to originate notation - yea, ok "loadsamoney" - but as for editting CPDL pdf notes: no chance with anything I've found. YMMV - please share if you/ anyone knows better.

I maintain my view that commercial software, particularly a trial version, without an effective uninstaller is unprofessional. I remarked on this point to the maker, iceni, and got no reply. (My company makes software, BTW, in an unrelated area.)

A "not for profit" choir, eh? Off hand I can only think of BBC Singers, The Sixteen and one or two others that are (or might be) "for profit" choirs, at least in the UK. ???
Alan Knight