Use of API for commercial purpose

ONLY forum where announcements promoting COMMERCIAL choral music related websites and services are permitted
david_nunn

Use of API for commercial purpose

Post by david_nunn »

Hi - not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if I wanted to use the CPDL API as part of a web app (just for searching cpdl content from within the app, and linking back to CPDL) do I need some sort of licence?
vaarky

Re: Use of API for commercial purpose

Post by vaarky »

We think this is likely workable, as long as (it doesn't sound as though this would be the case) the app does not obfuscate the licensing terms of the the content (e.g. scores). Also, there's the caveat just FYI that the API is updated every now and then and may break things for you if a change affects how you're using the API.

Can you say a bit more about what you would need from CPDL other than the authorization?
david_nunn

Post by david_nunn »

Many thanks for your reply. The app is basically a cataloguing system for users to keep a record of their own library. When looking up an item within the library, the app searches to see if there is a close match with something in CPDL (via the API) and, if so, simply shows a link to the relevant page on cpdl.
Additionally, when cataloguing an anthology, it will search CPDL for a contents list, which the user can choose to import. Please see attached screenshots.
I'm understand that the API will change from time to time. I also appreciate that the layout of pages (for example those with contents of anthologies) may not necessarily follow a set pattern. I am not importing any scores etc.
I just wanted to make sure I was not infringing any terms of use.
Additionally, am I able to use the cpdl logo in those parts of the app that reference the site?
Last edited by david_nunn on 01 Aug 2020 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Thanks for your reply. We are waiting to hear back from some additional people and hope to have a further response in about a week.
david_nunn

Post by david_nunn »

Thanks!
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

What you propose would work for us and we are interested in helping with your project.

We feel we need to ensure that:
* It is clear to the user that your app is not operated by CPDL and that CPDL is not a data controller related to the app's data;
* That the CPDL logo when referenced identifies CPDL's site so it's clear that it's referencing a different entity. Are you planning to make the logo clickable whereever it appears?

Can you provide a mock-up screenshot that shows how you would use the CPDL logo and the verbiage around it?

Can you clarify what data you would collect from the user, and send us a copy of your app's privacy policy for review?

Please let us know what you need from us.
david_nunn

Post by david_nunn »

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I need anything else from you (other than your permission), as my API searches do exactly what I need them to do. I'll PM the screenshots and privacy notices once I have got them ready.
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Great! Looking forward to your update.