Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestina) pub. john Henry Fowler

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
ajtocher

Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestina) pub. john Henry Fowler

Post by ajtocher »

I direct a small schola which has just lost both altos (careless of me, I know!). We were hoping to sing Palestrina's Alma Redemptoris Mater on the first Sunday in December, using John Henry Fowler's *revised* edition, but the alto part is just a little too high for any of my tenors to attempt. If the original music file is still available, is it possible to obtain a copies of it transposed (a) down a semi-tone [D] and (b) down a whole tone [Db]? Alternatively if the source were available i could transpose it myself using Finale Allegro.

As an aside would it be possible for editors/composers to upload the source files on CPDL generally so that users could then transpose editions themselves?

Thanks in anticipation.

Alastair J Tocher

Schola Gregoriana Malverniensis (Gregorian Chant & Latin Polyphony)
e: scholasi@btopenworld.com
w: scholamalverniensis.btck.co.uk
f: www.facebook.com/ScholaGregorianaMalverniensis
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestina) pub. john Henry Fowler

Post by carlos »

Hello Alastair,

You are probably referring to this version of Palestrina's Alma Redemptoris Mater:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Alma ... alestrina)

There are two editions by Fowler on that page, and in each he also provided a source file (one in Encore and the other in Sibelius v4). You may try to transpose it using one of these music editors. You may also try to contact Fowler, but he has been inactive on the site since 2009, unfortunately.
Last edited by choralia on 12 Oct 2015 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
ajtocher

Post by ajtocher »

Thanks Carlos. I missed the link to Sibelius. I shall investigate whether I can import Sibelius into Finale.

Alastair
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hello again, Allastair
ajtocher wrote:I shall investigate whether I can import Sibelius into Finale.
The only way you can do it is by exporting the Sibelius file as MusicXML, which Finale can read. Fortunately we at CPDL have a registered copy of Sibelius (free license graciously granted by Avid Sibelius) and our admin Max made the conversion for you. We'll send the MusicXML file to you by email. It already incorporates the corrections reported at the Alma Redemptoris Mater talk page.

Regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration