Request of copyright for Music Competition

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
youngacb2002

Request of copyright for Music Competition

Post by youngacb2002 »

I found a choral piece from CPDL , called La Guerre : http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/jane-gue.pdf
I am planning to use this exact version of the piece to participate in a Music Festival event held in Hong Kong.
I would like to ask Do I Have to apply any permission to use this EXACT score, or I just have to print it out and submit it to the Organization of the event?

Thanks a lot!!
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Request of copyright for Music Competition

Post by choralia »

This work has been released by the editor, Claudio Macchi, under the CPDL license policy, whose complete text is available at:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:CPDL

A brief excerpt of the above article:
The CPDL License is designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of music (and charge for this service if you wish), that you can freely perform or record the edition, that you can change or re-edit the edition (with certain limitations, see below); and that you know you can do these things.
So, basically you don't need to ask permission to print the score,to duplicate it (provided that you keep intact all copyright notices - see details on the link above), and to perform it. Please consider possible restrictions and limitations due to copyright regulations in your country: CPDL is based in the U.S.A., and the possibility to freely use a score in the U.S.A. does not imply that it can be freely used everywhere in the world. Fulfilling local copyright regulations is under your responsibility.

Claudio Macchi is still an active CPDL contributor, so it would be nice (but not mandatory) to inform him that you plan to use one of his scores for a Music Festival in HK.

Max