David Fraser's edition of Byrd's Cibavit Eos

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
Simon Berry

David Fraser's edition of Byrd's Cibavit Eos

Post by Simon Berry »

Mr. Fraser:

Is it possible to have a version of Byrd's Cibavit eos with the Medius part in treble clef for altos to read and the whole motet transposed up on tone? I like your very neat editions of the Gradualia and am considering a liturgical year when we sing as many as fit into the Novus Ordo Mass. I use Finale 2011; is there any way I can open your scores in this program?
Simon Berry. St. Dominic's, San Francisco.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: David Fraser's edition of Byrd's Cibavit Eos

Post by carlos »

Hi Simon, I'm afraid David won't be able to answer to your request shortly; he has posted a notice on his talk page on this respect:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/User ... vid_Fraser ("Current plans")

Unfortunately, none of the editions of Cibavit eos offer an editable source file. :(
pml
Site Admin

Post by pml »

Hello Simon,

Earlier this year (presumably prior to the ill news mentioned under “Current plans”) David mentioned he was keen to contribute a set of Sibelius files that could be used for the purpose of transposition to desired performing pitches:
Hello everyone - sorry for the long lay-off from work here, caused solely by volume of work elsewhere. I think the best I can do to provide transposing editions for anyone that needs them (since I will continue to have difficulty replying to individual requests) is to post a complete set of "anonymous" Sibelius source files with all editorial information removed, which should allow other users to alter them as required to their individual needs. My original reason for withdrawing all my .sib files from this site was that I had come across edited versions of them elsewhere on the Web that I felt misrepresented my own reasonably painstaking editorial work. However, I realise that the lack of source files is not helping other users and not serving Byrd adequately, so I hope the "anonymous" route will work for all, while keeping my editorial conscience quiet!

I shall start work on posting these .sib files within the next few days, although it may take a few weeks to complete them. I will try to deal with the above requests first.

A happy and blessed Easter to all,
--DaveF 09:11, 3 April 2010 (UTC)
Contra the posting of Carlos, there is an editable source file for Cibavit eos available and therefore I am inclined to think that David would not object to me preparing a transposed version specifically for your usage, following the principle of his posting above, which emphasised his inherent moral rights to be recognised as the editor of the work. Would you please email me at philip.m.legge AT gmail.com, and I'll reply with a PDF?

Regards, Philip
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

How strange! When I opened the Cibavit eos page on Saturday to check for sources, I'm sure that the version I saw was the one prior to that in which David added his Sibelius file. I can't understand what happened, perhaps an old cache on my computer.