Morales/Gregorian chant: Ne recorderis

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
EmqU

Morales/Gregorian chant: Ne recorderis

Post by EmqU »

I was looking at 'Hispaniae Schola musica sacra', an edition from P. Pedrell (found at the ISMLP-site), which contains some music from Cristóbal de Morales. The last piece from the 'Officium Defunctorum' is the 'Ne recorderis', which is an alternatim with the choir, which sings some verses in the original gregorian chant setting.
I looked for this gregorian chant in the Graduale, the Vesperale and the Antiphonale, but could not find it.
It is the responsorium after the 6° Lecture on the 2° Nocturn (Job 14, 13-16).
The missing (gregorian) melody is for the words: ... peccate mea, Domine ... judicare sæculum per ignem ... Domine, Deus meus, in conspectu tuo viam meam ... judicare sæculum per ignem. V/Requiem.

Can anyone help?
Cdalitz

Re: Morales/Gregorian chant: Ne recorderis

Post by Cdalitz »

I looked for this gregorian chant in the Graduale, the Vesperale and the Antiphonale, but could not find it.
It is the responsorium after the 6° Lecture on the 2° Nocturn (Job 14, 13-16).
Have you thought about looking in the Nocturnale Romanum? That is where I would expect music for the Nocturns. Unfortunately, I do not have it myself, but maybe someone else among the CPDL users has it?

Chris
EmqU

Post by EmqU »

No, never heard of it either. Apart from the mentioned books, I only have knowledge of the existence of the 'Processionale'. But if someone only could post me the requested score, I would be very happy ...
Patterson

Post by Patterson »

The complete chant is found in the Liber Usualis on pp. 1792-1793, notated in Gregorian neumes. I can reproduce or modernize it if you like.
EmqU

Post by EmqU »

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't anounce I did find the score in the Liber Usualis already myself...
And, 'Mr.'Patterson, thanks for your generous offer, but I don't need a modern transcription of it. It fits perfectly in the score of Morales.
Moreover, I found a very nice recording of the whole by Jordi Savall on the CD 'The route to the Orient', where I find the confirmation that the part in the Liber usualis is the right one.
But thanks, very much, anyway.

Greeting,
EmqU
Watzl

Post by Watzl »

Hello,

I was looking for NE RECORDERIS by CHRISTOBAL DE MORALES and I found your words on CPDL and an offer to reproduce or modernize the Gregorian neumes of this peace.
It was in September 2010 when you gave this offer to someone here on CPDL.

I´d like to sing this song with my choir.

Is it possible for you to help me to get the musical score as an pdf-file ore something like that.

Thank you for your time to give an answer to my question

H. Watzl
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

You can download an edition of the Liber Usualis from the Church Music Association of America:

http://musicasacra.com/2007/07/liber-usualis-online/

Beware that it is not the original international Latin edition, but a localized edition with English texts (which is prefered by most readers, because fluent Latin speakers are rare today even among clerics ;-).
EmqU

Post by EmqU »

Hello,

I can send you a complete made up score with Morales' and the gregorian part together, if you you give me a mailadress.
EmqU