different Key!

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
verochka

different Key!

Post by verochka »

Dear All! Can anyone help to transpose a T. Morley piece "Leave alas this tormenting", please! As I know,
it should be 2 semitones higher! I don't have a licensed software to do this.
Thank you!!!
Vera
choralia
Site Admin

Re: different Key!

Post by choralia »

There are 3 editions, which one is of interest for you?

Max
verochka

Post by verochka »

Dear Max,
Those 3 editions all in wrong Key! I need any of them 2 semitones higher! Could you please mail the right one to petvera@gmail.com ))))
Thanks

Vera
verochka

Post by verochka »

Thanks! I've received it!
P.S. I could not find out how to save changed file in evaluation version of Noteworthy Composer(. It said, that I can't....
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I understood that you needed a transposed version this score, and you can actually make it yourself using the evaluation version of Noteworthy Composer. Transposition is allowed, as well as printing to paper or to pdf file. Saving is not allowed, but saving the transposed file is unnecessary if you just need the transposed score in pdf or on paper.

If you need other functions, you may purchase the licensed version of Noteworthy Composer. It is a pretty good program, and definitely affordable. I normally use Harmony Assistant, that is a little bit more expensive, but it includes Noteworthy Composer file import functions, so I normally open NWC files using Harmony Assistant.

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

All these editions are indeed transposed into an extraterrestrial key (from a 16th century point of view). Strange.
Maybe this is to please choirs who sing or practice with piano accompaniment (practizing with a piano might be horrible, but not uncommon...)?

There is however one strange thing with this piece: Can anyone find the alleged edition of "Leave alas this tormenting" by Laura Conrad?

I have checked her site http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/bycomposer.html, but did not find it there.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Cdalitz wrote:Can anyone find the alleged edition of "Leave alas this tormenting" by Laura Conrad? I have checked her site http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/bycomposer.html, but did not find it there.
Indeed it is not listed on the page above, but if you use the site's search tool you'll locate it at http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/pieces/30.html. By the way, the midi file on this page is full of wrong notes!
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

Indeed it is not listed on the page above, but if you use the site's search tool you'll locate it at http://www.laymusic.org/music/sp/html/pieces/30.html.
I have corrected the link on the editions site.

In response to the original question, verochka might be interested that this edition actually is not transposed, but in the original key.
By the way, the midi file on this page is full of wrong notes!
I have had a look at the ABC file, and it seems mostly ok at first sight. The MIDI file is probably generated with abc2midi, which might get the octave of some voices wrong and does not support multi-breves rests AFAIK, so from the ABC file I would conclude that the MIDI file is unlikely to be correct.

But if verochka uses the ABC file, it should be ok.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Cdalitz wrote:The MIDI file is probably generated with abc2midi, which might get the octave of some voices wrong and does not support multi-breves rests AFAIK.
Oh, that explains the weird dissonances on it! Thanks for the explanation.