copyright question Salve Regina

For MUSIC REQUESTS and QUESTIONS about availability, including Copyright issues
hello12345

copyright question Salve Regina

Post by hello12345 »

Hello everyone
http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Fil ... Modern.pdf could you please tell me if this falls under the CPDL copyright? it says copyright 2015 on the sheet music which is why I thought maybe it is protected after all :D ...? thanks in advance!
choralia
Site Admin

Re: copyright question Salve Regina

Post by choralia »

Unfortunately this file is an "orphan", i.e., a file that the editor uploaded without creating an edition page for it, where the relevant copyright information would have been specified. So, its copyright status is unknown.

You may try to contact the editor through her discussion page:

https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Use ... oirharpist

and use the "Email this user" function on the left panel. The function is only available if you are logged-in.

Max
hello12345

Post by hello12345 »

Thanks a lot for the reply! :)
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

The edition itself says that this piece is copied from the "Liber Usualis", where you can find it on p. 276. An internet search for "liber usualis salve regina" will point you to scans of the source.

The edition is thus not copyrighted, but it might be that the anonymous piece from the 11th century is copyrightd in the LU version. This is extremely unlikely, though, especially as first editions of the LU were already published in the 19th century. In the USA, the copyright on the 1952 edition of the LU definitely expired in 1952 + 28 = 1980, and in Germany such a copyright (on the medieval music it contains) must have expired, too, because the copyright duration of "scientific editions" or "posthume publications" is 25 years, and 1952 + 25 = 1987. Beware, however, that explanatory texts, preface etc. still might be copyrighted.