Message for users when editing their own talk page

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
bobnotts
Site Admin

Message for users when editing their own talk page

Post by bobnotts »

New users to CPDL and the wiki sometimes get confused where to address any queries they may have. They may write a message on their talk page assuming that this will be read by someone. Would it be possible for there to be some standard text appear when one views one's own talk page? A simple line would avoid such a problem. It could read:

"If you want to ask a question, please don't post it here - it is likely that no-one will see it. Instead, sign up on the forums [link] and post your query there or ask an administrator [link]."
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
vaarky

Re: Message for users when editing their own talk page

Post by vaarky »

Great idea! I've seen reasonably technical users also get confused about this aspect.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Rob, as far as I'm concerned there is only a general message (MediaWiki:Talkpagetext) that can be added for all talk pages, not just one's own.

If we decide to change this message, I'm not sure if we should direct people straight to the forums. Some people may not be willing to create two accounts and would feel more comfortable staying in the wiki environment, so I'd suggest directing them to the admins' page for contacts first, informing the forum as a second alternative.

Addendum: If I'm not mistaken, I remember having seen Wikipedia display different Talkpagetext's according to context, but I don't know how they do it. Perhaps by using javascript. We could check their code later.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

I've added appropriate notes and links to the Mediawiki:Talkpagetext which may help clear things up a bit. This additional note appears when a user opens a talk page for editing (sorry that the wiki encoding doesn't get translated/displayed properly here):
'''Please note:''' If this is your discussion ("talk") page and you wish to '''''initiate a disucssion''''' with or '''''ask a question''''' of a {{CW}} administrator, please use that administrator's talk page. Do not simply leave a message here on your talk page with the expectation that an administrator will see it. A list of administrators with links to their talk pages is available at [[ChoralWiki:Administrators]]. Alternatively, you may '''login''' at the [index.php '''CPDL Forums'''] (note that separate registration is required) and post a message there in the '''CPDL Discussions''' section which will be read by everyone.
You can see the effect by opening your own talk page for edit.

Perhaps I should make the addition conditional on the User talk: namespace, though.

Addendum: I've added code that only displays the additional note on User talk pages, but at present there is no way to make it appear only on a specific user's own talk page.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I don't see it on my own Talk page, which I'm viewing in logged-in state.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

The message only appears when you Edit a user talk page - and it is an extension of the message that appears when you edit any (nonuser) talk page at ChoralWiki.
Charles H. Giffen
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Oops, I see. I think this will be helpful. However, I have a suggestion about what gets bolded.

Right now, "Please note" is the part that's bolded, so the user's eye alights on that and then has to read further into the non-bolded text. I suggest removing the Please note and instead having "If this is your own [adding a word] discussion ("talk") page" be the part that's bolded--that way a person's eye skips to the bold section that allows them to quickly tell if the section following the bolding applies in their situation.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

vaarky wrote:I suggest removing the Please note and instead having "If this is your own [adding a word] discussion ("talk") page" be the part that's bolded--that way a person's eye skips to the bold section that allows them to quickly tell if the section following the bolding applies in their situation.
Done! Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Charles H. Giffen