Difficulty ratings

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
NathanHowe

Difficulty ratings

Post by NathanHowe »

As a music educator, I would love to be able to sort and search not only by period and voicing, but also by the difficulty of a piece.

I know that agreement on level of difficulty will vary widely among musicians; however, I don't think this is necessarily a reason to abandon the idea.

This could work in the following way: The editor of a score could voluntarily add a difficulty level (say, on a 1-5 scale?) as a category entry on the ChoralWiki page for each piece. It would not be required for adding a new score, but would help people to discover an editor's score, so many would probably be willing to participate. In the for-profit choral world, the publishers themselves determine and publish the levels for their pieces, so this is in line with that practice.

If there is a serious reason for disagreement with such a rating by the score's editor, other editors could mention it on the piece's talk page, and a general consensus could be reached.
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty ratings

Post by carlos »

Hi Hathan, there was a similar (although somewhat broader) discussion about this recently; perhaps you may want to check it:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4485
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration