List of categories

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
Richard Mix

List of categories

Post by Richard Mix »

The list at [[Categories]] isnt editable (which may be just as well) but it might be more fun if there was an alphabetical navigation bar: by the time I had scrolled through the numbers and gotten to people whose first names begin with A, I forgot what I was looking for (maybe it was a category for New Year). :shock:

Btw, the subcategories at Sacred music by season are displayed in a cunning order; would New Year be | 02.5 or would there have to be some renumbering of the Proper of Time?
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: List of categories

Post by CHGiffen »

Hi Richard,

If you are referring to the page Special:Categories, there is indeed a navigational aid at the top which allows one to "Display categories starting at _________" where one fills in the blank, eg. with, say, "Gombert" which will begin with "Gonçalo Lourenço compositions" (since there is no category begining with "Gombert..." or with "G" which will begin with "G. A. Studdert-Kennedy settings".

As for Sacred music by season, New Year (or Octave of Christmas or Circumcision) could indeed be categorized between Christmas and Epiphany by using the sort key "| 02.5" (ie. put "[[Category:Sacred music by season| 02.5]]" on one of these category pages. However, I would hope that only one of these three possible category names would be used, and I note that you have already created Category:Circumcision and made it a subcategory of Category:Christmas (which seems an appropriate alternative, since that category contains Christmas seasonal music ).

I hope this helps. By the way, thanks for all your good work at ChoralWiki.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Is New Year a sacred season? I'm not aware of any branch of Christianity that celebrates it as such.

Robert
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Thanks, the box now looks more conspicuous than it did to me before :idea: The many red links make this a target-rich environment for someone with too much time on their hands.

I of course made Category:Circumcision for the Mouton setting of the Gospel, and it seemed good to have it as a sub cat since there will be little not shared with Xmas Day. It also seems natural to have the well populated Xmas as the supercategory for the 12 day season. I have doubts that anything would be gained by merging Mary, Mother of Our Lord (Jan 1), though: anyone looking for one liturgy would just be distracted by the other. Maybe both should be sub-sub categories of New Year's.