"New answer"

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
anaigeon

"New answer"

Post by anaigeon »

Hi,

From time to time I get a message about a "new" answer, though the latter appears to be very old.
I've just got one about "Other topics / Octave tenor clef", but the last contribution in this thread is dated december 12th 2008 :shock:

BTW, this is more a question about this kind of phpBB forums, rather than about cpdl specifically, since I remember having had similar surprises on other sites.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: "New answer"

Post by choralia »

Hi anigeon,

This problem is related to attacks from spammers: they reply to existing topics in order to distribute their spamming messages (advertisements, links to commercial websites, etc.). This triggers a "new answer" notification to all users who subscribed the topic attacked by the spammer. BB administrators delete the spam messages and the spamming user accounts, but they cannot withdraw the notification emails sent already. So, when you receive a notification but nothing new is actually present in the thread, it's very likely that there was a spam message deleted already by an admin.

Max
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

I see!
It's not really a problem, since it doesn't happen so often, but I'm now very glad to understand the reason, thanks !
luis henriques
Location: Fajãzinha, Flores Island, Azores, (now at Évora) Portugal

Post by luis henriques »

Me too. Thank you for the explanation.

Kind regards,
L.H.
Luís C. F. Henriques (University of Évora)
“Ipse vero magister Perotinus fecit quadrupla óptima […] cum habundantia colorum armonicae artis…”
Anonymous 4 in [Musica] (fol. 70v)
Atrium Musicologicum