Uploading music from ipad

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
l_g_minton

Uploading music from ipad

Post by l_g_minton »

I'm handicapped, and can't use a desktop computer, so I use an iPad. I started a new page for my arrangement of "Mary's Boy Child," but couldn't send the .pdf file from the iPad. I emailed an administrator, explaining the situation, and attached both .pdf and .mid files of the piece in the hope that the admin could upload it for me. The only reply I received was "Hello,
there is no possibility to load the pdf-file down."
Can someone advise me how, or to whom, to send the necessary files?
Larry Minton
l_g_minton

Re: Uploading music from ipad

Post by l_g_minton »

I just learned of a possible copyright problem, so I need to withdraw "Mary's Boy Child." I didn't know Jester Hairston had written it; I just thought he had done an arrangement. However, I will be submitting other things soon, so I still need resolution on the uploading issue. Thanks!
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Larry, welcome to CPDL! Could you please give more details about your uploading experience so that we may help you? Please verify that:

1) you are able to open the page http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload
2) you can click on the "Select file" button and navigate to the folder where your pdf file is located
3) you can select it and confirm the upload

Please be as specific as possible about the error you get.

There is also an app for iPad called Wiki Edit (http://www.wikieditapp.com) which may interest you. One of the features listed on its page is the ability to upload files to a wiki site.
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Thank you, Carlos. I can't select a file on my iPad, but it looks like the app you recommended will work. Would you please delete the pages I entered for "Mary's Boy Child"? The song is by Jester Hairston; if I can obtain permission (which I doubt) I will re-submit it.
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

No problem, the work was removed as requested.

Regards,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Hi Carlos,
The Wiki Edit app only works with photographs from the photo library on the ipad, but it won't upload.pdf files. I did find a way to access our desktop Mac, and I've just uploaded two works: Beloved are the Souls (Beati Mortui) by Mendelssohn, and While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks, a carol setting. I probably made a bunch of mistakes. Would you mind looking at these to see if they came through okay? Please let me know if there are other steps I need to take. Thanks for your help,
larry
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Larry,

Good news that you found a way to upload your files! You did everything fine with the exception of a few issues in Mendelssohn's Beati Mortui that were already corrected.

When uploading editions, please remember to follow the format "Composer surname - Work title.pdf"

Thanks,
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Thank you, Carlos,
The Mendelssohn doesn't show up on my composer page. I added what I thought was the right thing to do that, but it still doesn't link up, so I must have done it wrong. Would you please have a look at it at your convenience?
Larry
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Hi, Carlos,
The composer page is fixed - thank you! However, I've noticed mistakes (my own- I'm a tenor!) in both pieces, and the page about score revision says it's "not to be relied on" and to post here. What is the correct procedure?
Thanks,
Larry
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Larry,

Before uploading your corrected files, please rename them using the titles below. The upload form will ask you if you want to replace the old versions, check the corresponding box and confirm. That's it, nothing else is required.

Mendelssohn - Beati mortui.pdf
Minton - While shepherds watched.pdf
Minton - While shepherds watched.mid

You may also opt for opening each of the pages below and clicking on the link "Upload a new version of this file" for each one of them. This procedure does not require renaming your files.

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... mortui.pdf
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... atched.pdf
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/File ... atched.mid
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Hi Carlos,
Thanks very much for your patient assistance. I appreciate it very much,
Larry
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

You're welcome! :)
l_g_minton

Post by l_g_minton »

Hi, Carlos,
One last (maybe!) question. How can I get my score to show up in more than one category? For example, my While shepherds watched their flocks doesn't appear when one searches Christmas music. It seems that, if it's listed as a Carol, it should show up under Christmas music as well. I'd also like to get Beati Mortui listed under both Anthems and Motets, and by its title in English, Beloved are the Souls.
Thanks for your continuing patience,
Larry
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

l_g_minton wrote:Hi, Carlos,
How can I get my score to show up in more than one category?

I'd also like to get Beati Mortui listed under both Anthems and Motets, and by its title in English, Beloved are the Souls.
There's a subtle difference between Carols and Christmas: a Carol is considered a genre at CPDL, so it goes in the Genre line. Christmas being a holy day is categorized in a different way, being added by hand at the bottom of the page, like this: [[Category:Christmas]]

With regard to Beati mortui, both Anthems and Motets are genres, so we can simply use the code {{Genre|Sacred|Anthems|Motets}} to make the work show up in both categories. Your last request is a bit more complicated: we can't simply change the title into English because there are other editions in Latin. The only solution for this would be to split the page in two and put your edition in a separate page under the English title. Would you prefer it so?
l_g_minton

Another new score

Post by l_g_minton »

Hi Carlos,
Since we conversed last year, I no longer have the ability to access my desktop iMac. Is there another way to submit a new score? I have a.pdf file and a midi file. I still don't have a way to upload from my iPad.
Thanks,
Larry Minton