Piece absent from external site

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
anaigeon

Piece absent from external site

Post by anaigeon »

Hi,

Looking for Schütz's "Gib unsern Fürsten", I found the page
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Gib_ ... h%C3%BCtz)
pointing to Fritz Brodersen's site, but I can't find the piece under the letter 'G'.
Cdalitz

Re: Piece absent from external site

Post by Cdalitz »

The link goes to the Werner Icking Music Archive (WIMA), which seems to have vanished/been merged with IMSLP. "Gib unsern Fürsten" is the second part of "Verleih uns Frieden" from the "Geistliche Chormusik". You can find the complete edition here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Geistliche_Chor-M ... einrich%29

It seems that all links from CPDL to WIMA need a clean up. I am not sure whether this can be somehow automated, but a simple solution would be to replace each link to WIMA with a link to the respective composer page om IMSLP.

This brings up another question: shall all these archives backlink to each other (a funny thing would be a circle, where each work links to a site in a different archive, but the work is nowhere available for downlaod ;-)? Seems like a lot of redundancy to me (with all its implications of update anomalies etc.) with limited benefits.

It would be more useful IMO to only link from the composer page to IMSLP, when the composer is also present there. This would avoid the problem of duplicating a random selection, while still providing a link as a search aid for the end user.
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

Thank you very much Cdaliz, my comment was of course meant to be a "kind" one, the only goal of which was to maintain the good standard and reputation of cpdl !
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Cdalitz wrote:It seems that all links from CPDL to WIMA need a clean up. I am not sure whether this can be somehow automated, but a simple solution would be to replace each link to WIMA with a link to the respective composer page om IMSLP.
A good deal of the conversion can be automated, we're just waiting for the merger between WIMA and IMSLP to complete.
Cdalitz wrote:It would be more useful IMO to only link from the composer page to IMSLP, when the composer is also present there. This would avoid the problem of duplicating a random selection, while still providing a link as a search aid for the end user.
This has been discussed some time ago, I don't remember why it was not implemented back then. I like the idea of having links connecting both CPDL's and IMSLP's composer pages, reciprocally. From the CPDL side, it can be done fairly easily.
Carlos (talk)
CPDL Administration
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

I too like the idea of mutual pointers and adding it to the Composer template.
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

Thanks again for the link http://imslp.org/wiki/Geistliche_Chor-M ... einrich%29
But then I'll have a musical (or musicological) question, for which I open a new thread in a more relevant place.