Huge congratulations...

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
DaveF
Site Admin

Huge congratulations...

Post by DaveF »

...to all involved in the migration - the site now seems to be working faster (at least on this side of the Atlantic) than ever before, even, if I remember right, in pre-Wiki days. When I saw the messages flying back and forth, it made me inexpressibly glad that my days of doing that sort of thing "for real" (i.e. as a DBA at work) are well and truly behind me. So great work all round.

One question - not having entirely understood how the new address is related to the old, I'm a bit reluctant to upload any revised files, since I imagine that they'll acquire an address different from the existing ones at www.cpdl.org. (I didn't actually upload anything, but noticed that I wasn't being warned of the existence of the old file.) Is this going to create problems when further adjustments are made to the address of the site? I'll happily hold off uploading any revisions until an all-clear is given.

DF
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Huge congratulations...

Post by choralia »

Hi Dave,

Our intention is that the CPDL wiki should become "portable", i.e., if it is moved from one server to another server, everything, including the scores, moves altogether.

Infortunately the version at cpdl.org (Stanford University) was not portable, probably because at the beginning most of the scores were stored on an external server at wso.williams.edu, and they were linked to the wiki via absolute URLs. The scores stored at Stanford were also linked to the wiki via absolute URLs. So, the new version that we have just moved to choraliwiki.org still fetches scores from Stanford and wso.williams.edu through the existing absolute links. Apparently, newer scores are directly uploaded within choralwiki.org instead.

In reality, all the scores are already stored at choralwiki.org: we have already copied to choralwiki.org all the scores (and also source files. MIDI files, etc.) existing at Stanford and at wso.williams.org. But at the moment they are not used by the wiki, as its pages still point towards Stanford and wso.williams.edu through the absolute links. We should change all the absolute links to become relative links, reconcile anomalies, duplicated files, etc. . This is the objective for the near future. This will make the CPDL wiki "portable".

So, still a lot of work to do!

Max
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Thanks, Max - so I'll leave you with a few fewer anomalies and duplicates to reconcile by not posting any revisions for the moment.

DF
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Just wanted to chime in to congratulate the folks working on this major project.
pml
Site Admin

Post by pml »

Likewise. With due respect to Raf, who had done an enormous amount of work bringing CPDL to life in the first place and keeping it going through its first few incarnations, the move to a committee of management, and distribution of various tasks to team members with strengths in those areas, has been long overdue and is extremely welcome to see. Congratulations on a relatively smooth transition so far - the few bugs have all seemed fairly minor from here.

Best, Philip
Tim Henderson

Post by Tim Henderson »

Wow - what amazing speed the site now runs at!

Well done,
Tim