Main site: Login credentials clobbered?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Kkroon

Main site: Login credentials clobbered?

Post by Kkroon »

I just tried to login at the main site with saved credentials, and I got an "Incorrect password" error.

What gives?

Kurtis
Kurtis Kroon
Dilettante
Kkroon

Re: Main site: Login credentials clobbered?

Post by Kkroon »

and asking the system to send a password reminder is taking forever, too.

Anyone else experiencing this ... is it part of the upgrade pains?
Kurtis Kroon
Dilettante
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi Kurtis. I've just logged out of the wiki then logged back in without any problem. Without wishing to state the obvious, are you sure you got your password right?
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

By the way, CPDL's email feature is still not working properly and you will not receive your password reminder by email. If you fail to remember your password let us know, we'll see if there's a way to reset it internally.
Kkroon

Post by Kkroon »

bobnotts wrote:Without wishing to state the obvious, are you sure you got your password right?
No, I didn't remember it -- I set my browser (Safari on Macintosh) to autofill those fields whenever I logged in.

Before, it worked like a charm: now, it doesn't.

I requested a password reminder, to see if that would help -- I haven't received that reminder.

So, how does one go about asking for a manual password reset that you mentioned?
Kurtis Kroon
Dilettante
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

We are currently migrating the whole CPDL website to a new server. We need to postpone this fix after the migration is made, as the wiki "engine" is currently in read-only mode. It's a safety measure to avoid that modifications are made in this phase, that would create inconsistencies.

Max
Kkroon

Post by Kkroon »

Max/choralia wrote:We are currently migrating the whole CPDL website to a new server. We need to postpone this fix after the migration is made, as the wiki "engine" is currently in read-only mode. It's a safety measure to avoid that modifications are made in this phase, that would create inconsistencies.
Okay ... just let me know (my credentials to this forum weren't affected, obviously).
Kurtis Kroon
Dilettante
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

It seems that CPDL operations on the new server are stable now. Is your login problem at the wiki website still present?

Max
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Just complementing Max: email service is already functional, I believe now you can use it to reset your password!
Kkroon

Post by Kkroon »

choralia wrote:It seems that CPDL operations on the new server are stable now. Is your login problem at the wiki website still present?
Yes.
carlos wrote:Just complementing Max: email service is already functional, I believe now you can use it to reset your password!
Okay, I just sent a password update request.

Wow ... it's here already!
Kurtis Kroon
Dilettante
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Can you say more about what you were seeing that made you think your credentials had gotten clobbered? I ask because I thought the same thing when I tried to edit pages and it just put me into View Source mode but would not allow me to edit anything. I waited a while to see if that feature was just turned off for everyone, then tried editing my own user page. It was there that I saw an error message saying that the reason I couldn't edit it is because my e-mail address is not verified.

Is this the same thing you were seeing or something else? If it is, we should test it via a new CPDL account whose address has not been verified. If there's no error message about why accounts that haven't had their e-mail address verified can't edit files, other people may be similarly confused about why they can no longer edit files when they used to be able to do this even with their e-mail address unverified.clobbered without knowing why. In that case, it's worth a more prominent announcement to let people know who are wondering but haven't gotten to the point of asking.
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Re: Main site: Another user unable to post at CPDL

Post by CHGiffen »

I just got this PM from Paul Marchesano (User:Marchesa):
Chuck, my credentials have been messed up on CPDL. I can't upload scores any more. If I try to post a note/question on discussion page I get the same answer: Your email is not verified you cannot edit pages on this site... I had no problems before the migration, but since the wiki migration cannot upload or edit anything, even my own scores. I know the email verification thing never worked and understand it does not work now. Is there something you can do to fix my status (or tell me who to email/contact to get it done?)
We've had this problem before, but I was not involved in the "fix" ... could someone please advise?

Thanks,
Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Main site: Another user unable to post at CPDL

Post by carlos »

Paul Marchesano wrote:I know the email verification thing never worked and understand it does not work now.
The email verification "thing" does work now. All editors must have their email verified if they want to continue uploading/editing pages. This was a security measure necessary to block the majority of spam bots that were constantly attacking CPDL.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Is the user's email address correct? As the email verification "thing" now works, it's necessary that the email registered in the database is a real working email.

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

The email address for marchesa here at the forum agrees with the one appearing on his CPDL user page, but I don't know if that agrees with the email address from his original CPDL registration. He has been a CPDL contributor since 2003-04-08 and has logged edits on his user page at the wiki since August 26, 2005.

Chuck
'
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki