no
No votes
similar problem
No votes

Total votes: 0

shoreu

Browser says, 'Unable to upload'

Post by shoreu »

For some unknown reason, when I fill out the information for a certain song, it tells me it's unable to upload it. I suspect that this is because of the pdf link (it has a lot of spaces, or %20's in it). Is CPDL able to upload files with %20 and such in their names? Can this be fixed? I can't change the URL without some inconvenience.
mjolnir

Re: Browser says, 'Unable to upload'

Post by mjolnir »

Mark:

If you are referring to the file you uploaded, "MightyGodWhile.pdf", I'm not sure exactly what the problem might be. I successfully uploaded a file named "Wood I will Arise pdf.pdf" within the past couple of days. The fact that Bob Notts has had trouble uploading a file within the past few hours, too, suggests that there might be some server problem involved, but since Bob's file was considerably larger (4MB) than yours, there is another possible explanation for his situation.

It would definitely help to diagnose the problem if you provide the exact name under which you attempted to upload the file, and the exact message you received.

ns
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Mark

Are you talking about the form which is accessed to add a new score to CPDL or uploading a file? I have a feeling it is the former. This problem has been around for a while. The only advise that I can give is to try again later. I know it's frustrating (I've had the same error message at least 3 times in row before.

Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
shoreu

Clarification of the problem

Post by shoreu »

I was talking about adding a score (not uploading a file).

I don't think the problem was the %20-thing, though. I think it was because I was trying to add a midi file for that score that was already in use by another score (they have the same tune, but different lyrics).

Well, the %20-thing might have caused problems, but I eliminated that problem, and it still persisted. I tried a number of different things (unfortunately, I only had time to try them all at once, and so I'm not sure what the problem was) and got it to work.

Here are some of the things I tried differently:
* I closed out of the browser and started it up again before submitting (I had already successfully submitted one score before this; I had this problem another time in the past under the same conditions, only I didn't try closing the browser, and I didn't succeed in adding the score). I use Firefox 2.0 (I probably had 1.5 the last time, though).
* I tried uploading the file here, under a different name (without %20), instead of linking to it in my attempt at adding a score (although this didn't fix the problem, I suspect it may be one of a few things to cause it, but I could be wrong)
* I submitted it without the midi URL (which was already successfully submitted for another score, although that score was not yet posted)
mjolnir

Clarification of the problem

Post by mjolnir »

Mark:

I am more easily confused in my advancing years than was formerly the case, and this may be why I don't understand the difference between "adding a score" and "uploading a file". One adds a score by uploading a file. But you say you were trying to add a MIDI file to a score already in use. This would seem to suggest that you are trying to link to an existing MIDI file on CPDL. If so, which file are you trying to link to?

Is there a semantic issue here? Did you mean that you were trying to create a score page and were having problems creating the links? This might be consistent with the fact that you successfully uploaded an image file, "MightyGodWhile.pdf".

ns
shoreu

Post by shoreu »

Yes, I mean creating a score. Here's a link to the page I was at for more clarification (it refers to it as 'add scores to CPDL' on the main page link and then there's a link from there to the following page):
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/form/work.htm

I wasn't trying to link to a CPDL midi (but an off-site midi, which had already been linked to).

MightyGodWhile.pdf is the renamed version I uploaded and put on that page successfully after making the other alterations (it was not successful the first time after the name change, as noted earlier).

"Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" is the song with the same midi. The page for it hasn't appeared yet, though, but it should very soon.
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

I don't see how duplicating a link to a file (MIDI in this case) can have any effect on the posting process, in fact, I'm almost certain that that it wouldn't cause any problems. I also doubt that your web browser is an issue.

I think the problems are more likely to be at the other end. The CPDL server seems to get very busy (and slow) so I would suggest that when you get such an error from sending so much information to it, your browser gives up becuase it times out. This would explain why the process sometimes works and then seemingly random doesn't work at different times of the day.

Rob
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator