error message with addworks

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Richard Mix

Re: error message with addworks

Post by Richard Mix »

Don't the new and old processes both involve filling out the same form? Now instead of one set of instructions there are 3 different ways (from the composer page, from the work page, from a different composer page) to get to 'step 2' with various amounts of information pre-filled-in, which is more confusing instead of less. I'm afraid I still don't understand what is being phased out and what preserved.
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

I have added a warning to the top of Help:Score submission guide, that this page is obsolete.
Also started through editing Help:Automated add score process – see Help:Automated add score process2. Feel free to edit this last ad lib.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

I have created a draft page that, once finalized, may replace the existing score submission guide. As a consequence, some adjustments may be required to the [[Help:Automated add score process]] page then.

Max
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Richard Mix wrote:Now instead of one set of instructions there are 3 different ways…
I agree with Richard's implication that there should be one set of instructions, but there are (at least) two pages with overlapping information, which is confusing to most, especially new users. Either Automated score process and Score submission guide should be consolidated into one, or there could be two pages, one simple, the other detailed. Or maybe better, a page with subpages, like this:

Help:Submitting a new score (a short page, in simplified, outline form, describing the different ways of starting, AddWork form, finishing)
  • 1. Subpage: Naming files and titling pages
    2. Subpage: Detailed description of elements of the AddWork form
    3. Subpage: The "traditional method"
This way a new (or inexperienced) user would have one place to look to get started, and later they could return for detailed information. More experienced users would also have one place to go for details. I started a "detailed" page here (probably with errors).

By the way, the AddWork form needs to be changed to include the template {{Title}}, and to take out blanks between the score icons.
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Please feel free to improve the documentation as needed, possibly by merging overlapping information or giving to the documentation a different structure.

Please note that the automated process allows to do certain things that were not possible using the traditional process, and that have not been exploited much so far to prevent misalignment between the two processes (and hence further confusion). For example, in the case of the automatic process:

- the form and the outputs produced by the form are governed by wiki pages (for example, this page ), so that any admin may modify them (while in the traditional process everything was hard-coded, it could be changed by software programmers, not by admins);

- the form can be also translated into other languages, and the appropriate form will be automatically displayed according to the user's preferred language;

- some fields such as the editor/contributor email address (when the submission is done by the editor) and the email address of the person who is submitting the form (if different from the editor) can be also automatically filled in by the form itself.

This is because the automatic process runs "inside" the wiki, while the traditional process was self-standing, external to the wiki. When the traditional process will be removed we can start exploiting such new features.

Max
BarryJ

Post by BarryJ »

Thank you, Max!
I have continued the process, but it is still far from complete.
  • The first option is a subpage called "Quick start", intended as short, summary instructions for new or inexperienced users (or a reminder for experienced ones!). The "traditional method" is not mentioned here.
  • The second option is a subpage with detailed instructions on the whole process of Score submission. Merging all the documents and providing all the links is incomplete at this time, but my intention is to leave the "traditional method" for another subpage, so this subpage is a detailed description of only the automated procedure.
  • A third subpage (partially complete) would describe the "traditional method"'.
    Max wrote:When the traditional process will be removed we can start exploiting such new features.
    So this approach would facilitate phasing out he traditional process.
I would very much appreciate comments on this approach, as well as detailed comments. (Post modified 2020-07-20)
Barry Johnston
Gunnison, U. S. A.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Thankk you Barry, that's great!

I've just added some more introduction text to https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Hel ... uide/draft, to better clarify the whole picture and the reasons why the automated method is now considered as the main process (almost all submissions are done using it).

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

Would it be easier to add line numbering to the form, or edit error messages? "Line 143" is something I had to fix by trial and error.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Richard Mix wrote: 12 Mar 2021 23:14 Would it be easier to add line numbering to the form, or edit error messages? "Line 143" is something I had to fix by trial and error.
Where/when did you get a "Line 143" error message?

Max
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

I was trying to add https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Der ... e_(Wizlaw). I didn't take time to trouble shoot whether external links in "Description" or collapsed "Edition notes" was the problem, and I'm now relying on memory for the actual line number.

The code formatting for https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/ChoralWiki:Gregorio is a makeshift, of course: I think I already started a discussion somewhere else. https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/C%2 ... %27Amiens) is another experiment.