A tale of two lous

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
cjshawcj

A tale of two lous

Post by cjshawcj »

Ludovico Balbi and Alvise Balbi composer pages contain warnings that the two should not be confused. This is partly because biographical details are similar (uncle and nephew, similar dates, working in the same district) but most particularly because their names are actually identical. Ludovico is the Latinised form of Luigi; Alvise is the dialect version (Veneto) of Luigi. (Luigi is the Italianised form of Ludwig, Lewis Lou, Aloysius...….)

There are items appearing here on CPDL on the Ludovico page which should be re-attributed to Alvise: Factum est praelium, Hodie Christus natus est, Laetabitur deserta, Omnes gentes plaudit, Plaudat nunc, Saule Saule (6 pieces).
They all derive from Alvise's collection, Ecclesistici Concentus, 1606. They have hitherto been attributed to Ludovico since CPDL editions were compiled initially from anthologies: Promptuarium musicum (4 volumes) and Florilegium Portense (2 volumes) which provided an ambiguous attribution to one Ludovico Balbi. These were prepared before the original source (E.C., 1606) was available online).
The anthologies' indices need to be corrected to (say) ""Ludovico Balbi" (correctly Alvise Balbi)" - (to explain yet remove the ambiguity in the original indices). All items in these indices (including those not yet posted/linked) refer to Alvise's Ecclesiastici.
The items above need to be transferred from Ludovico to Alvise. I have made an initial attempt to transfer Factum est praelium, but renaming the file is not sufficient to shift it from the Ludovico page. Correct transfer, and that of consequential links, is beyond my pay-grade; and initial experimentation suggests that I am (wisely) withheld permission.
Editors that have attributions to Ludovico within their pdfs will need to correct them (I have done this for mine, but there others)
Claude_T

Re: A tale of two lous

Post by Claude_T »

Thank you for all your contributions.
I've created the publication page for 'Ecclesiastici Concentus' and changed the composer first name for those six works.
cjshawcj

Re: A tale of two lous

Post by cjshawcj »

Thanks for your help. I have changed references in lists of contents of Promptuarium Musicum (4 vols) anf Florilegium Portense (2 vols) in the hope that the confusion can now fall on sleep.