How to list works by composer with voiceing/instruments?

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
Cdalitz

How to list works by composer with voiceing/instruments?

Post by Cdalitz »

While it is possible to search for works of a composer with a voicing known beforehand, I wonder whether it is also possible to obtain a list of all works by a composer that includes their voicing (plus the instruments of the accompaniment).

It is a bit tediuous to click on every work listed on the composer page just to find out its voicing.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: How to list works by composer with voiceing/instruments?

Post by choralia »

Yes, this is possible, and the best solution depends on some factors:

- if you intend to obtain a listing that is displayed online for a specific composer, you may use DPL queries within a dedicated page;

- if you intend to do the listing for several composers, you may create a template that automates the process;

- if you intend to add listings to all composer pages, maybe it would be best to replace the template with an equivalent parser function, to reduce the server load;

- if you intend to export the listing for further processing (rather having the listing just displayed online), you may use the Mediawiki API to export results in XML, JSON, or OpenSearch format.

Which solution do you think that best fits with your needs?

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

I cannot exactly figure out what your answer refers to.
  1. Are these hacks on the Wiki code that enable an automatic listing on the ChooralWiki page, i.e. somethind that must be done by a CPDL editor?
  2. Or are these options accesible to CPDL vistors?
In case 2, is there an example somewhere how this can be accomplished on a client (Unix) computer with on-board tools (e.g. web browser, python, wget etc.)?
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Maybe everything gets more clear starting with an example based on a basic DPL query.

Please open a composer page for editing, and add the following wiki code whenever you like in that page:

{{#dpl:category={{PAGENAME}} compositions
|include={Voicing},{Instruments}
}}

Then click on "Preview" so that you can see the result without actually modifying the page. A list of all works by the composer will be displayed, one work per line, including voicing and instrumentation on each line. The formatting is very rough, however it is just an example to show what anybody could do using DPL. Is this sufficient for you (maybe if the formatting is improved a little bit), or do you need anything else?

Max
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

Ah, this query is only possible for editors. It actually yields the list that I was looking for.

Now I only must remmeber to press "Cancel" after querying this list and not to press "Save" inadvertantly ;-)
A bit cumbersome, but it works.

Thanks for your help, Chris