Variant versions of Byrd (or anyone else)

Use this forum for HELP at Choral Public Domain Library as well as FEEDBACK
DaveF
Site Admin

Variant versions of Byrd (or anyone else)

Post by DaveF »

Hello, everyone - hope all's well here (I'm sure it is). I haven't been doing much by way of editing for a few years, hence lack of activity here - but Byrd calls again. I've had a few requests recently for viol parts or editions in their (original?) voice-and-viols scoring, so thought I would post a few here. My question is, should they go on the same pages as the purely vocal versions, or have their own new page, distinguished by [Consort Version] in the title? There are no major differences between Byrd's published all-vocal pieces and their incarnations as consort songs for solo voice and viols - merely matters of detail such as different note-values and occasional pitches in the viol parts, and sometimes minor textual variants in the voice-part. My inclination would be to keep everything on the same page - vocal version, consort version and individual viol parts - but I thought I'd take advice first. (One advantage of creating a separate page would be, I imagine, to increase the count of works hosted on the site :D - and, seriously, also to indicate on the home page that this new version had been posted.)
choralia
Site Admin

Re: Variant versions of Byrd (or anyone else)

Post by choralia »

Welcome back, Dave. Nice to hear that you're willing to post new valuable editions.

Although I'm mostly active to maintain the servers alive rather than to perform librarian tasks, I would definitely opt for having in the same work page everything that is relevant to the same work.

Adding a new edition to an existing work page is sufficient to get the work page newly listed under "Most recent scores" on the home page (while the counter of new score pages will not increase - we will live with it).

Max
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Hi Dave, and welcome back! Good to see you.

I agree with Max that it is best to put any consort versions or other variations on the same pages as the original choral works.

It seems to make sense, also, to have an appropriate categorisation for such variants (not sure just how many different such categories would be reasonable or justified) ... maybe something like Category:Variant versions, or Category:Instrumental arrangements, or Category:Instrumental versions.

Again, good to see you and thanks for adding a new dimension to our offerings.
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Thanks both - good to talk to you both again. I've uploaded the first edition and parts (How shall a young man), but left the page in a bit of a mess at the moment - don't have any good ideas about how to reflect the different categories of genre and instrumentation in a tidily-formatted way. I'll play with it again later when not rushing so much.