License statement

Forum for all users to discuss the implementation and operation of the ChoralWiki at CPDL
bobnotts
Site Admin

License statement

Post by bobnotts »

All the content on cpdl.org is licensed under the CPDL license unless stated otherwise. However, I happened to notice at the bottom of every page it says "Content is available under ." How do we get this updated so it says "Content is available under the CPDL license." with a link to the license page?
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator
choralia
Site Admin

Re: License statement

Post by choralia »

bobnotts wrote:How do we get this updated so it says "Content is available under the CPDL license." with a link to the license page?
This can be done by setting appropriate variables in the MediaWiki configuration file LocalSettings.php:

Code: Select all

$wgRightsPage = 'ChoralWiki:Copyright'; # Set to the title of a wiki page that describes your license/copyright
$wgRightsText = 'the CPDL copyright license';
I've done it on the contributor wiki. New settings will propagate to the visitor wikis tomorrow.

Max
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi Max, this can be accomplished more easily by changing the system message http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/MediaWiki:Copyright
When set, this message overrides the configurations inside LocalSettings.php

This method presents two advantages: any admin can change the system message, even those without access to the LocalSettings.php file; besides, it accepts translations (under sub-pages, as usual). I've changed the system message in order to display the text suggested by Rob.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Thanks, Carlos. By the way, working on LocalSettings.php I found that it was necessary to comment out a couple of settings:

Code: Select all

# $wgRightsUrl = '';
# $wgRightsIcon = '';
otherwise the text associated to the copyright variable was repeated on the bottom-right of the page, nearby the "Powered by MediaWiki" icon. Very strange :?

Max
carlos
Site Admin

Post by carlos »

Hi again, Max!

That's strange indeed, even more so because I couldn't replicate your results. I experimented with various combinations of settings and skins but the copyright text was not duplicating for me. :/ (well, I shouldn't be sad, that's a good thing, right? lol)
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Great stuff, thanks guys :)
Rob Nottingham
CPDL Administrator