Former vocal jazz and classical choir member

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
choirnerd

Former vocal jazz and classical choir member

Post by choirnerd »

Hello, all! I am so excited I found this forum!! My name is Sami and I have not been doing music for the last 5 years (although my husband is in several bands and plays guitar daily) so I thought I would get back into the community. When I was in high school I was involved in amazing award-winning choirs, but when I went to college, (a UC, even!) the standards were just so much lower than I was use to, so I did not continue. (Seriously... the non music major choir learned by EAR.) Anyway, I would love to get started teaching choir, but recreationally (I don't have the credentials to be a school teacher,) and I am looking for ideas on how to do this! Any help would be appreciated, but knowing me, I will forget to look at this website for another month, so if you would like to help me out, please reply to this post, or send me a comment on wordpress. My name there is also choirnerd. Thanks guys! Can't wait to start reading all of your posts!
vaarky

Re: Former vocal jazz and classical choir member

Post by vaarky »

One way to get your feet wet teaching choir (though not at the school level) might be to teach choir at a rec center for adults or seniors, or form an informal community choir. Teaching it at the school level probably requires more in the way of formal credentials, I think. Best wishes on your pursuit.