usergroups

A forum for new users, and for old users to greet the new ones
nolinesbarred

usergroups

Post by nolinesbarred »

Can someone explain "usergroups" to me please?

All I can find on this site are two groups one for registered users is referred to as a "special group". What constitutes "special"? And the other group is for the executive committee - that I understand.

Is that it? Is there a list of groups somewhere?

Confused! I've looked at the FAQ reference to "usergroups", but I remain unenlightened.
choralia
Site Admin

Re: usergroups

Post by choralia »

Usergroups are intended to identify users who share a specific common interest or role within this BB and/or CPDL. In some cases, users belonging to a given usergroup have extended administration privileges.

When the BB is created, 3 special user groups are automatically created:

- the administrators, who have the highest level of administration privileges;

- the global moderators, who have intermediate level priviliges;

- the registered users, who have standard privileges.

By default, newly registered users are automatically placed in the usergroup named "registered users". Then, they can be promoted to "global moderator" or "administrator" if they are supposed to play such roles.

Then, additional usergroups can be created for different purposes. The executive committee is just an example. As far as I know (and I can see through the administration control panel) the executive committee is the only additional usergroup currently defined.

Max
nolinesbarred

Re: usergroups

Post by nolinesbarred »

Thanks very much Max. It was the word "special" that led me astray... I thought that there must have been a "not-so-special" group or two (or more) elsewhere that I couldn't locate. Sigh... So much to learn, so little time...

nlb