Translations of help pages requested

Primarily for posting announcements and important information for users, new and old
bobnotts
Site Admin

Translations of help pages requested

Post by bobnotts »

Dear all

It has become apparent to me and other users that many would-be contributors to CPDL are discouraged or prevented from submitting their editions to the site because the help pages are not in their native language. We are therefore appealing to any biligual person who would be willing to volunteer to translate the help pages. If you are such a person, please make yourself known on the news talk page or in a reply to this message. Any languages are welcome and the priority at the present is the score submission guide.

If you are fluent in English and another language and willing to help, please make yourself known!

Thanks in advance

Rob
Site admin
ml_menendez

Post by ml_menendez »

hi bob... i think i can help. i speak spanish, but i wonder if those pages will be too difficult to translate...
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Hi there. Thanks very much for your offer. Another contributor suggested that I provide an automatic translation from Babelfish or Google. Would this be useful as a starting point? If you don't understand any words or phrases, I'd be happy to help explain them. If you'd like an automatic translation doing, let me know and I'll create one and format it correctly for you to tweak. I never really trust the automatic translations!

Thanks again

Rob
ml_menendez

Post by ml_menendez »

thanks bob. I am going to try and translate the page. I see that an italian translation has already been added. I am not so sure about the links to other pages, and how to create the table, or how to even add the page, but I can start working on it anyway, see what happens.
choralia
Site Admin

Post by choralia »

Hi ml_menendez,

I made the translation into Italian. I simply entered into edit mode on CPDL while the page was still in English, then I copied and pasted everything into a text file on my PC. I translated all the parts in English in the text, without touching any formatting information, links, etc. . When the text in English quotes some text existing in other pages, I left the original text in English and I added within brackets the translation into Italian, so that some kind of cross-reference is provided and the user can also understand other pages not translated yet. I did not make use of automatic translation tools.

When everything is ready, you have just to copy-and-paste the resulting text file into the CPDL page that is supposed to contain the translation in Spanish. I can take a look to it: Spanish is quite similar to Italian, and due to my business I often read technical documents in Spanish language, without any major problem. So I can probably assist you and detect if any misunderstanding occurred.

Regards.

Max

P.S.: apparently the CPDL website is down at this very time. The automatic monitoring system detected a start of the outage at 08:10 GMT. I hope it will be soon available again.
joachim

Post by joachim »

I'm working on a Dutch version - should be available in an hour or two.
joachim

Post by joachim »

Took me slightly longer than that, but here it is. I unfortunately have neither time nor skills to publish the page myself, so I hope one of the admins or someone else will take the time to do so.

Joachim

EDIT (bobnotts): I have moved the code to the new wiki page for the translation: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Help ... 28Dutch%29 END OF EDIT
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Thank you very much for that, Joachim. :D I've just edited your message above and posted the new page. When you get the chance, please read through it to make sure nothing has changed in the move.

Thanks again

Rob
joachim

Post by joachim »

Hi Rob

Thanks for that - looks fine, I've just corrected a few of my typos.
Still, two questions:

* I still miss a link to the Dutch text on the main help page (similar to the Italian one that was added)

* The translations may be helpful to those contributors who are less fluent in English, but we still require them to understand quite a bit of English before they actually reach the text in their own language. Wouldn't it be more practical if the 'score submission guides' were featured in a more prominent position on the main page?

joachim
ml_menendez

Post by ml_menendez »

Hi! I started working on the spanish page. I had translated like 25% of the page, but... the problem is: I don't understand the instructions!!! There are some things I could translate to spanish if I understood them, but I dont! :(
I never uploaded a score myself, that may be why.....

Lorena

PS: may be I was just having a bad day, I'll try again later....
Amaryllis

Post by Amaryllis »

Hi everyone,
I'm working on a German translation of the score submission guide, but I guess, it will take a few days as I'm having a busy time so shortly before the holidays.
Best
Sylvia
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

Thank you very much, Sylvia!!

Best wishes,
Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki
joachim

Post by joachim »

Hi,

Could one of the admins add a link to the Dutch submission guide on the main help page, as was done with the Italian version? Thanks

joachim
bobnotts
Site Admin

Post by bobnotts »

Joachim: I've just added a link to your translation on the help contents page and I've also added links to the score submission guide and translations on the main page. I'm not sure that they belong there, though, so I've opened up some discussion on the main page talk which you should contribute to if you feel strongly about the issue.

Lorena: If you have any specific problems, feel free to ask here or on my talk page.

Cheers, Rob
joachim

Post by joachim »

I've done the first Help section in Dutch. The text is underneath. This will require a change on the main page as well.

joachim

Help:Waar staat CPDL eigenlijk voor?

CPDL is de afkorting van 'Choral Public Domain Library', in het Nederlands: ‘Koorbibliotheek in het publieke domein’. Het is een website die gratis koorpartituren ter beschikking stelt via het internet.

CPDL ontstond in december 1998, en is ondertussen uitgegroeid tot één van ‘s wereld grootste gratis muzieksites. Alle partituren bevinden zich in het publieke domein, en kunnen gratis gedownload worden. Bij de meeste gaat het om stukken waarvan het auteursrecht is opgeheven, andere zijn dan weer gloednieuwe composities, die hier door de toondichters ter beschikking worden gesteld.

De belangrijkste doelen van CPDL zijn:

* Partituren gratis ter beschikking stellen
* Een website in het publieke domein creëren waar enkele legale kopieën worden aangeboden
* Meewerken aan een bruikbaar coöperatief systeem voor het verspreiden van partituren
* Partituren publiceren die op commerciële basis niet beschikbaar kunnen gesteld worden
* Een overzicht aanbieden van een zo groot mogelijk aantal sites met gratis bladmuziek

Naast de partituren vindt u op CPDL ook de teksten en vertalingen van de stukken, en gegevens over de componisten. Al deze informatie bevindt zich in het publieke domein, en kan dus gratis geconsulteerd en gebruikt worden.

{{Help}}

Help:Hoe lang bestaat CPDL al?
CPDL bestaat al sinds december 1998. De site werd gelanceerd met maar liefst 6 downloadbare partituren.
{{Help}}

Help:Wie beheert de site?
CPDL wordt beheerd door Rafael Ornes ([mailto:ornes@cpdl.org ornes@cpdl.org]).

Toch worden de meeste partituren en informatiepagina’s bijgedragen door gewone gebruikers. Stoot u op een fout, of wil u zelf een bijdrage leveren, dan u makkelijk de pagina zelf vormgeven of aanpassen. Zo groeit en verbetert CPDL dankzij de bijdragen van individuele gebruikers.

* [[Help:Contents#How can I contribute?|Zelf een bijdrage leveren]]
* [http://www.cpdl.org/phpBB2 Bezoek het CPDL forum] – waar gebruikers de site en de inhoud ervan bespreken en becommentariëren (in het Engels)
* [[ChoralWiki:Volunteers|Bekijk de vrijwilligerspagina]] – waar lopende projecten worden aangekondigd.

{{Help}}

Help:Is het echt gratis?
Jawel, helemaal gratis.
{{Help}}

Help:Gratis? Maar wie betaalt dit dan?
CPDL is een project zonder winstoogmerk, en wordt beheerd en bewerkt door vrijwilligers – gewone gebruikers zoals u.
Om de kosten van de site te dekken, zijn donaties uiteraard altijd welkom. Om een financiële bijdrage te leveren, kan u in het navigatiemenu (links op de pagina) klikken op Donations.
{{Help}}

Help:Hoeveel partituren zijn er?
Bij de laatste telling had CPDL 9200 partituren ter beschikking, bijgedragen door 320 medewerkers.
• Bekijk een complete lijst van parituren en pagina’s.
{{Help}}

Help: Mag ik kopiëren voor mijn koor?
Jawel. Alle partituren op CPDL vallen onder het publieke domein, en in de meeste gevallen betekent dit dat er geen beperkingen zijn wat betreft kopiëren, verdelen of uitvoeren ervan.
Hier zijn enkele uitzonderingen op:
• In een enkel geval kan de componist vragen dat u hem of haar contacteert als u een werk wil uitvoeren.
• Een aantal partituren zijn terug te vinden op CPDL, maar worden in werkelijkheid opgeslagen op een externe, verwante website. Deze kunnen andere eisen stellen wat betreft kopiëren en uitvoeren van de partituren. Hiervoor moet u op de betreffende website nagaan welk auteursrecht zij hanteert.
{{Help}}

Help:Wat kan ik nog doen met een partituur?
Alle CPDL-partituren bevinden zich in het publieke domein, en er gelden dus geen beperkingen wat betreft verdelen, kopiëren of uitvoeren ervan. U kan de partituren ook gebruiken als basis voor een eigen versie, de toonaard aanpassen, transponeren of andere aanpassingen maken die uw koor het beste uitkomen. Als u uw eigen versies ook via CPDL publiceert, hebben ook anderen hier wat aan.
• Kijk ook bij Mag ik kopiëren voor mijn koor? voor meer informatie.

{{Help}}