Roman Catholic uses Psalm 13, 70, 100, and 130 in the year?

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
joe_gamba

Roman Catholic uses Psalm 13, 70, 100, and 130 in the year?

Post by joe_gamba »

Hey!

When do Roman Catholic uses Psalm 13, 70, 100, and 130 in the year? I have some great settings for them, with cantor, assembly and SATB, I'd love to use these works.

Thanks

Joe
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Roman Catholic uses Psalm 13, 70, 100, and 130 in the y

Post by DaveF »

Joe,

Before I (or anyone else) do any research on this one, can you say exactly which psalms it is you have setting of, since there are different numbering schemes in use? For example, in the Roman psalter, Psalm 100 is Misericordiam et judicium (My song shall be of mercy and judgement) whereas in the Anglican Prayer Book the previous one (Jubliate Deo) is no.100. Perhaps if you could give us the incipits of each of your psalms then we can nail them down unambiguously.

DF
joe_gamba

Post by joe_gamba »

Hello DF:

And thx for the help! here's the opening Cantor line.

Psalm 13, How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord?
Psalm 70, Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O Lord.
Psalm 100, Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Psalm 130, Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord.

Hope this helps

Joe
DaveF
Site Admin

Post by DaveF »

Joe,

Complete uses of these psalms, such as I can find in the Breviary, and to give them their Roman numbers:

Psalm 12 - Usquequo Domine - Not much variety of liturgical use for this one. Proper to Tuesday Compline throughout the year.
Psalm 69 - Deus in adjutorium - Proper to Thursday Compline throughout the year; also used at Tenebrae, Sext for All Souls and in the Litany of the Saints
Psalm 99 - Jubilate - Proper to Lauds throughout the year. Also (in English) as a Morning Canticle in the Anglican Church.
Psalm 129 - De profundis - A Vesper psalm, used in Passiontide, at All Souls, Vespers of the Dead and Wednesdays throughout the year.

Of course, it goes without saying that not all these occasions would call for musical settings.

DF
D-fished

Post by D-fished »

Here are the uses of these psalms according to the Revised Common Lectionary:

Psalm 13: Year A, Proper 8 (13) Sunday from June 26 to July 2

Psalm 70: Years ABC, Wednesday in Holy Week; Year A, Proper 27 (32) Sunday from November 6-12

Psalm 100: Year A, Proper 6 (11) Sunday from June 12-18; Year A, The Reign of Christ (Sunday before Advent); Year C, in Canada and the USA, on their respective Thanksgivings

Psalm 130: Year A, Fifth Sunday in Lent; Year B, Proper 5 (10) June 5-11; Year B, Proper 8 (13) June 26-July 2; Year B, Proper 14 (19) August 7-13

D-fished
joe_gamba

Post by joe_gamba »

Well thank you D-fished for the help. So what particular religion uses Revised Common Lectionary? I do love these works and love to hear them too, maybe I need to work with a different religion other with the Roman Catholics.

Joe
D-fished

Post by D-fished »

Hi joe_gamba

Sorry for such a late reply. I haven't had time to get to the forum in the busy Christmas season. (Two community choirs and a church.)

The Common Lectionary was introduced in the 1970s along with the ICEL (International Consulatation on English in the Liturgy, I believe) versions of the Liturgy. It was revised in the 1980s or 90s, producing the Revised Common Lectionary. This is the three year cycle of lections used worldwide by Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran and Methodist Churches (among others). Unless your parish is still using the Tridentine Rite, you should be using it there.
There are, however, some discrepancies between the denominations, particularly in the cursus of psalms. I got the above information from an RCL website because the lectionary ordo we use in my Anglican parish does not index the psalms and it's too much work going through the ordo Sunday by Sunday. You might look for a specifically Roman RCL site to see if the uses I listed agree. Otherwise you'll probably just have to work your way through your own lectionary to see if and when these psalms come up. Bonne chance.

d-fished
Richard Mix

Post by Richard Mix »

http://www.bombaxo.com/rclcompp.html has a useful table comparing the Book of Common Prayer, the Catholic lectionary and the Revised Common Lectionary, but be aware that these are only the Gradual Psalms: many of the minor propers (http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Cate ... ss_propers) are based on psalm verses as well, and may be substituted by an 'other apt song'. Complete Psalms are usually sung only in the Office of the Hours, of course.