Parish Psalters

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
Peacock

Parish Psalters

Post by Peacock »

Gnosall Singers are looking for 12/15 copies of the Psalter with music (not ASB)
fdoell

Re: Parish Psalters

Post by fdoell »

Hi,

I don't understand your request in detail. Are you looking for a specific piece of music called "the psalter" oder a group of pieces called "parish psalters"? By which composer etc.? I understand "parish psalters" being a category of music. Are you interested in any of them?

If you ar not looking for ASB (which I understand as Alto Soprano Basso although it is normally shortended as SAB) - which voicing and instrumentation are you looking for?

And what do you mean by "psalters with music"? Are there also choral pieces without music fitting that term?

I think as clearly as you can phrase your question as sooner you might get an answer.

Greetings
Friedhelm
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Parish Psalters

Post by carlos »

Friedhelm, peacock used terms that are probably easily understood to those initiated in the subject. ;)

It seems that Parish Psalters do come in two flavors: with and without chant, so peacock wants those *with* chant written down.
I found out that ASB stands for "Alternative Service Book". Is seems that the "ASB Psalter" is a modern edition (1980) of the Parish Psalter.

Understanding this notation seems quite difficult at first! Have a look here:

Online Parish Psalter: http://www.big-english-cheese.com/psalm/psalms.html