plainchant/gregorian score of Veni, veni Emmanuel

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
ebykm

plainchant/gregorian score of Veni, veni Emmanuel

Post by ebykm »

I've been looking for gregorian score of "Veni, veni Emmanuel" (O come, o come, Emmanuel) in Latin. Does anyone know where i could download one freely other than from here ?.
Many thanks.

Veni, veni Emmanuel;
Captivum solve Israel,
Qui gemit in exilio,
Privatus Dei Filio.

Refrain
Gaude! Gaude! Emmanuel,
Nascetur pro te, Israel!
carlos
Site Admin

Re: plainchant/gregorian score of Veni, veni Emmanuel

Post by carlos »

Unfortunately an edition of this Gregorian chant is not available at CPDL, only arrangements of it in various languages:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/O_Co ... aditional)

(Look under the See also section)
Cdalitz

Post by Cdalitz »

What do you mean by "gregorian score"? A neumatic notation, either diastematic or adiastematic?

I doubt that such a historic manuscript exists, beause the melody is alleged to stem from the 15th centuy, a period when neumes no longer were in use. So presumably the earliest notation was in white or black mensural notation. Note that the text is alleged to be from the 8th century, but not the music, which is apparently not "gregorian".

Even if it tries to be in some kind of epigonic "gregorian style", it was presumably meant to be sung in the strict metric "all notes are equal" way common for the 15th century plainchant singing that is quite remote from the modern "Solesmes school" style of singing [1].

Should you find out anything more about the origin of this piece, I would greatly appreciate if you let us know.

[1] see D. Hiley: "Chant." in H.M. Brown, S. Sadie: "Performance Practice - Music before 1600." pp. 37-54, W.W. Norton & Company, 1989
Patterson

Post by Patterson »

It is not difficult to create a neumatic version of the score yourself, although most conventional notation programs are not equipped to do so. There is a freeware program Grégoire available from http://gregoire.tele.free.fr/. It is supplied by the monks of Selemne and produces a .bmp file which can be edited in Paint or the like. The documentary help screens are in French, but I have translated them into English and am happy to share the translation.