Who is Richard Kidd? (composer of Wind-song)

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
cyberalan

Who is Richard Kidd? (composer of Wind-song)

Post by cyberalan »

Hello,

I enjoy singing Wind-song, whose score is wonderful and avalaible (see Google).

Though, I cannot find any information on the composer, Richard Kidd. May someone help me?

I'm particularly interested in:
  • where does he come from?
  • is he only a composer?
  • when was he born?
  • where did he study? (optional)
I'd be glad if someone could find any valuable information. Thank you!
carlos
Site Admin

Re: Who is Richard Kidd? (composer of Wind-song)

Post by carlos »

He's a Canadian composer...
RICHARD KIDD is a Graduate of McGill University, where he studied trombone and composition. He has taught music at Rothesay Netherwood School for many years, and plays trombone, piano and harpsichord with Symphony New Brunswick, Opera New Brunswick, the Saint John Early Music Studio, and has served as Musical Director for the Saint John Theatre Company, and conductor and for various Symphony New Brunswick productions. He has been Organist and Director of Music at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Saint John since 1986, and is an active composer, whose works have been performed at home and internationally. (source)
...married to Janet Kidd:
Janet Kidd has been directing and arranging music for choral groups for nearly 30 years, and composing for them for almost as long. She received a Bachelor of Music degree from Queen's University, Kingston. She them moved to Vancouver where, for seven seasons, she sang with the Vancouver Chamber Choir. when she and her family moved to the Maritimes, she became a singer/songwriter specializing in songs about the region.. Her song "Back to the River St. John', often heard on CBC radio, has been arranged for several types of choir and for women's barbershop chorus.

Because she has directed children's choirs, mixed choirs, youth choirs, women's choirs and a woman's barbershop chorus, her compositions and arrangements reflect her years of experience with amateur singers - attractive melodies, harmony lines that flow easily and simple yet effective piano accompaniments.

She is presently music director for two Catholic churches where is is frequently required to write new service music, some of which is now being prepared for publication by Oceanna Music. Janet lives in New Brunswick, Canada with her composer husband, Richard Kidd, and their four children. (source)
cyberalan

Post by cyberalan »

Thanks for your reply.

I had found earlier 'this' R Kidd, the husband of J Kidd, but I've got no proof he is the composer of Wind-song, and I cannot find a mean to contact him. Have you got any clue about this issue?
CHGiffen
Site Admin

Post by CHGiffen »

This page refers to "Canadian composer Richard Kidd's 'Wind Song,'" ... is that enough evidence that the information provided by Carlos identifies the composer?

And this page clearly identifies the composer of Windsong as the Richard Kidd living in New Brunswick, on Darlings Island, near St John.

Chuck
Charles H. Giffen
CPDL Board of Directors Chair
Admin at & Manager of ChoralWiki