Bruckner's Mass in C

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
hdeneve

Bruckner's Mass in C

Post by hdeneve »

Anton Bruckner wrote his first Mass ('Windhaager Messe' - WAB25) around 1842 for alto, 2 horns and organ. In the 1920-ies, this mass has been arranged and completed by Kajetan Schmidinger and Joseph Messner for choir (SATB, strings, horns and organ; or SATB with organ). Both arrangers have done a great job, as they were able to fully respect the Bruckner characteristics. That way, a Bruckner mass became available for smaller choirs.
To my knowledge, there is no commercial recording available of this mass.
My question: Is there somewhere a choir that has peformed this mass in SATB version and that maybe has recorded the performance? I really would like to hear this mass in its choral version.
jlester

Re: Bruckner's Mass in C

Post by jlester »

I am interested in the SATB arrangements too, particularly Messner. Can you tell me if it's published or how I can get a copy? I found a sort of 'bootleg" one in my choir's library, but it looks like it's been chopped up a bit by a past director. The choir performed it several years ago; I'm trying to find out if a recording exists from that concert. If so, I would be happy to share.
J Lester
hdeneve

Re: Bruckner's Mass in C

Post by hdeneve »

Sorry for this late reply...
The SATB arrangement of this Bruckner mass is published by Verlag Anton Böhm & Sohn.
(Messe in C Dur für vierstimmigen gemischter Chor, Streichquintett, 2 Hörner und Orgel).
The score clearly mentions "Auch mit Orgel allein ausführbar ("Can also be performed with organ only").
It is a beautiful arrangement, which allows a non-professional choir to discover the (young) Bruckner!