"The Bartered Bride" and other opera doubts

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
Sayuki_Togashi

"The Bartered Bride" and other opera doubts

Post by Sayuki_Togashi »

Hi everyone.

I'm an amateur singer and the opera group I'm in will perform the Smetana's opera "the Bartered Bride".
I have some doubts about the characters' behaviour... How's Marenka's behaviour? I read the whole opera synopsis (in two different places) and she seems to be a strong and decided woman, but our solist is performing her in a kind suffering way, just like those "princesses" from fairy tales who cry and cry. lol So... I'd like to know if someone knows how Marenka is... What's the correct way of performing her.

Kecal and the other characters I kinda figure how they're like, but my doubt is about Marenka...

Other thing I'd like to know is how long does it take to perform an opera. I mean... Like professional singers including the whole singing studying process (solists and chorus) until the performing and acting lessons and the production of scenary and all. I'd like to have an idea as I'm worrying about making the group I sing in more serious and better in the opera and I have no idea how long it takes. The Director of the group wanted to make in July and we started studying it in January. Is half of a year enough to have a whole opera done or it's not?

Thanks for the ones who reply. :)
smokeywisk

Re: "The Bartered Bride" and other opera doubts

Post by smokeywisk »

Hi mate,
Our choral society has decided to do The Bartered Bride concert version, arranged by Julian Harris (Boosey & Hawkes). Is that what you're about to do too?
My problem is, I need the audio as well as the dots & have a separate posting on my dilemma!!
I sympathize with you if Marenka's character appears wrong; that would bug me too.
I have a friend who does this kind of thing. Assuming that you're all very musical & able, you should be able to pull this off in 6months. The stage props can be minimal & imaginative. Shakespeare often implored his audience to use their imaginations when it came to props, so no worries there in my opinion.
Regards,
Mark
calythane

Re: "The Bartered Bride" and other opera doubts

Post by calythane »

What kind of opera song should play for my movie? I have a scene in my movie and the actors are getting gunned down in slow motion. I want a dramatic opera song to play as this happens. What song would you suggest?