Works from the issues of Pierre Attaignant

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
Martin Schubert

Works from the issues of Pierre Attaignant

Post by Martin Schubert »

Hi,

I've got several works from a collection edited by Pierre Attaignant. I'm not sure if a contribution to CPDL should be at the page of him (surely he has written more than "Tourdion") or if it would be better to edit these works on the "Anonymus" page, which even now contains a very large number of scores.

Max (= Cotributor "Martin Schubert")
DaveF
Site Admin

Re: Works from the issues of Pierre Attaignant

Post by DaveF »

Max,

As far as I can see, Attaignant wasn't a composer at all - he isn't even mentioned in Grove, for example, although his publishing and printing activities earn him a brief mention in the Oxford Dictionary of Music. So perhaps not even that Tourdion should be attributed to him. So I suppose the pieces will have to be Anonymous. Perhaps the publications themselves could also be added, as I've done with, for example, A Musicall Banquet.

DF
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

Agreed that Anonymous has way too many entries, but if it's technically accurate then there is nothing to be done. The suggestion to create an additional way of gathering these works is a great idea--mention of the editor and the collection will still help find them, even if the composer is Anonymous.
anaigeon

Post by anaigeon »

I've had the same problem when thinking about the way I'll record music files on my PC.
To avoid a huge number of pieces by "anonymous", I have created a directory every time some pieces were included in the same booklet or codex
(for instance Attaingant, Copenhague, many anonymous pieces in Nivelle, etc)
The only difficult decision is what to do when some pieces of a book have nevertheless a known composer (for instance Busnois in Nivelle).
I've personnally put them in my Busnois directory ; however, it shoudn't be difficult to insert a link to be able to find these pieces when scanning "Nivelle" or "Busnois".
After all, the main goal is to be able to find the music, thus, would it be so terrible to have Attaingnant or Nivelle look like a composer ?
(one might also think about looking for a better word than "composer").
Just a few ideas...
luis henriques
Location: Fajãzinha, Flores Island, Azores, (now at Évora) Portugal

Post by luis henriques »

Hello to all!

The problem, as I see, relating to Attaignant and other music printers of the time is that they are frequently mistaken as composers (the case of the Quand je bois du vin clairet or Tourdion is the most classic). My suggestion is that in the music editions there would be pages for editors, for e.g. Anonymous (Attaignant ed.) or Anonymous (Moderne ed.) etc, in a way that the searcher could find the score in the original context as possible.

Best wishes,

Luís Henriques
Luís C. F. Henriques (University of Évora)
“Ipse vero magister Perotinus fecit quadrupla óptima […] cum habundantia colorum armonicae artis…”
Anonymous 4 in [Musica] (fol. 70v)
Atrium Musicologicum
vaarky

Post by vaarky »

This should be doable with the multicat function Chuck created, if the editor is specified in a field (as opposed to the editor field being used to mean the uploader or person who created that particular edition). Rather than doing it based on editor, can the Collections feature be used instead? For example, there is a page for the Eton Choirbook, and there could be one for works in a particular collection based on any criteria someone thinks it's useful to create (whether based on older editor or other criteria).