Bass Solo (Audition Piece)

Discussions relating to performance, interpretation, score preparation, musica ficta etc.
nickmalcolm

Bass Solo (Audition Piece)

Post by nickmalcolm »

Hey I'm wondering if any of you fine folks can offer suggestions of good bass solo songs (that could be used for auditioning.) So that would probably exclude pieces with orchestral scores. I don't have a problem with sight singing, so chuck any that pop into your head of any difficulty. English or Latin would be preferred. My range is a low D up to an E or F.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Profondo

Post by Profondo »

Since I have always known that at any audition they will test my deep range anyway, I have used a "high-range" song. :)

My choise has been "Vouchsafe, O Lord" from Händel's "Dettingen Te Deum". I have also used "In diesen heiligen Hallen" from "Die Zauberflöte" ("The Magic Flute"), but that may be straining your range a little - besides being in German (my range is about A1 to A4).

Also Händel, but deeper: "For Behold, Darkness Shall Cover the Earth" from Messiah. Then continue with "The People that Walked in Darkness" if they are not yet convinced...
johnhenryfowler

Audition piece

Post by johnhenryfowler »

From G. F. Händel's opera "Acis and Galatea" - Act 2 - Scene 2
Recitative: "I Rage"
Air: "O ruddier than the Cherry"

The bass solo work in the air is very demanding, and it shows
off the basses range.